Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New C6 Corvette upgrade questions... >

New C6 Corvette upgrade questions...

Notices

New C6 Corvette upgrade questions...

Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 550 Posts
Default New C6 Corvette upgrade questions...

Considering taking this Vette on trade. I know what the car is worth...
2007 C6 Z51 Corvette Coupe, Black/Black, 6 spd. Manual, 3000 miles.

My 1st question is... what do these aftermarket mods cost RETAIL, and INSTALLED?

LG long tube headers (1000 parts + 300 install)
Corsa sports exhaust (1000 parts + 200 install)
Vararam Cold Air Intake (400 parts + easy install)
Upgraded "mild" camshaft (400 parts + 2000 install)

I made some estimates. Are they in the ballpark? I know that aftermarket stuff is only worth about 1/2 of the retail of the parts when you go to sell; depending on condition.

2nd Question(s): What does all of that do, HP/tq wise to an otherwise stock C6 Corvette? I can't imagine that you can change the camshaft without changing the computer, and I don't know of any computer mods to the car. Has reliability been compromised overall?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-26-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Considering taking this Vette on trade. I know what the car is worth...
2007 C6 Z51 Corvette Coupe, Black/Black, 6 spd. Manual, 3000 miles.

My 1st question is... what do these aftermarket mods cost RETAIL, and INSTALLED?

LG long tube headers (1000 parts + 300 install)
Corsa sports exhaust (1000 parts + 200 install)
Vararam Cold Air Intake (400 parts + easy install)
Upgraded camshaft (400 parts + 2000 install)

I made some estimates. Are they in the ballpark? I know that aftermarket stuff is only worth about 1/2 of the retail of the parts when you go to sell; depending on condition.

2nd Question(s): What does all of that do, HP/tq wise to an otherwise stock C6 Corvette? I can't imagine that you can change the camshaft without changing the computer, and I don't know of any computer mods to the car. Has reliability been compromised overall?
Your estimates are close enough...

Corvette people are, for the most part, funny beasts when it comes to aftermarket upgrades. The general rule of thumb is you take the value of the car and subtract whatever it would cost to put it back to stock form for 'real' value.

Some of the mods though are accepted, especially if the stock parts are retained. Exhaust and intake are two of them widely accepted as a bonus, but it never has yielded a penny more for resale in my experience.

As far as power goes, it depends on the cam. With the headers he probably went with a serious cam which probably means an additional 100HP total for the mods. BUT, a serious cam usually means shortened valve train life.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
Your estimates are close enough...

Corvette people are, for the most part, funny beasts when it comes to aftermarket upgrades. The general rule of thumb is you take the value of the car and subtract whatever it would cost to put it back to stock form for 'real' value.

Some of the mods though are accepted, especially if the stock parts are retained. Exhaust and intake are two of them widely accepted as a bonus, but it never has yielded a penny more for resale in my experience.

As far as power goes, it depends on the cam. With the headers he probably went with a serious cam which probably means an additional 100HP total for the mods. BUT, a serious cam usually means shortened valve train life.
The owner called it a "mild cam". I guess that depends on how you define mild, and how much taller than stock. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree,,,,,,,when I was shopping for mine, I skipped over any ads for modified cars or discounted it with the intention of having to make repairs due to it..
Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You might want to call Katech (Street Performance dept):

www.katechengines.com

They can answer your questions about the engine mods and what they will do or not do. Katech makes, sells and installs a lot of engine components for late model Corvettes.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

modded vettes are always cheaper to buy and harder to sell to a TRUE vette guy...worth more stock. i agree with the loss in value for the mods
Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

The exhaust and long tubes alone on that car probably produce 35+ HP gain at the rear wheels as long as it is tuned properly. Otherwise, it may just produce more noise and run too rich. And by the way, the LG's are probably around $1800 + install now, but otherwise, your numbers are pretty close. I agree that generally speaking, you can't get much (or any) of your money back on these sorts of mods during re-sell. I would be trying to make that point with the guy if it were me. I would offer him non-modded fair price at the most if I were in the market.

I think 100 HP gains is pushing it with those parts, but it depends on which cam.

In any case, it would ABSOLUTELY require a retune on the computer to realize the full potential of the mods and insure reliability.

Last edited by JohnnyG; 12-26-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thank you very much everyone; exactly the info we needed to know.

How great is OSO?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered

I agree....not to mention the warranty being void after engine mods. Depending on the in service date, an '07 would have been under full warranty until July '09 or beyond.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

You will need computer mods (preferably a live dyno tune) with cam. You dont "need" them with the other stuff, but it will run much better if timing and etc. is optomized for all of them. I run a custom tune from PCMforless on my LQ9 (silverado SS) to optomize my bolt ons and built trans. Runs like a scalded ape compared to the factory tune. GM motors are some of the most conservativly tuned motors from the factory. Remove stuff like torque managment and advance the timing a bit and they flat out haul. The GM motors are quite easy to tune with EFIlive or comporable from a respectable tuner. Bottome line....get your PCM tuned....at the least send it in if you cannot get the car somplace. Go to streetfire.net and find some of the moded vettes with cams and see who tuned them. have fun!!

Quick Reply: New C6 Corvette upgrade questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.