Notices

Ford Excursion wandewring?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin32
What is the wd hitch? and what upgraded brakes did you use ? I have the Bags, Shocks, Rear sway bar now , looking to do the springs next Thanks
Weight distribution hitch. The best deal on a 10,000/1,000 is a Curt at Summit Racing. You'll need the 6" drop bar to replace the standard one if you do the spring mod. Brakes are EBC greens on powerslot rotors.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are turning the steering wheel and the front wheels are not responding, it sounds like play in the steering gear box. It can be adjusted as described earlier, but I would use caution when doing so, making VERY small adjustments each time. There have been many a gear box ruined by over-aggressive adjusting.
There are aftermarkets available but will require the install of a more robust pump- check www.agrperformance.com for the gearboxes and pumps.

As far as the springs go, I certainly respect Chris' experience with his Excursions, however I have gone a little different route with the two I've owned. My towing duty and weight carrying requirements are no where near as high as some others have required, and I simply wanted to restore a level height to the truck and not sacrifice ride quality.
I used "U" code springs on the front and gained all of the clearance I needed between the frame bump stops and springs without the need to replace anything in the rear. It leveled the truck perfectly. I then added the Firestone air bags and adjusted as necessary for load. I've done this to two Excursions (Ford did the first under warranty) and have been MORE than happy with the results. Once you go to "V" codes springs or heavier, you will definitely have to do something with the rear as well.
For the amount of weight I carry and the boat(s) I tow, this works perfectly for me. I'll buy a heavier-duty truck if I ever need to tow or carry more than I do presently.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Talking

The only thing I have done to the truck was put add aleaf helper springs in the back.I dont carry alot just to compensate for the tongue weight with the trailer.I would like to raise the front to be level though.Unfortunately im too busy this week to mess with it but I need to address this soon.I will check the front end again but with the wheels hanging.The ford guy just put it on the rack and Im not really sure that was enough or how far he went in front end school either.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered

You want V codes. X's are too stiff, especially for a gasser. Unfortunately I don't have any part #'s. This is a often discussed topic on the Diesel Stop under the Excursion tab.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us that replace front springs with U, V, or X do so to gain room for the axle to travel before hitting the bump stop. I did not notice steering improvement from that personally, but the ride sure improved.

The steering box is marginal at best, and Ford specs for alignment etc are HUGE!!! You can be within specs, and still a long way from right.

I second the Radius Rods suggested in one of the first replies. They did an amazing job on settling the truck down, reducing wonder, and letting the anti-sway bar work. You really should check them out.

Many Excursion owners change the rear springs for F250 springs, and like the ride and think the steering wonder is reduced also. I might do that someday, just not in a hurry now. BTW: I've done the V springs, Helweig bar, Air Ride bags, Radius Rods, and aftermarket shocks. It's still not a German sportscar, but it's okay now.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

I finally had a chance to work on the truck.I just followed the procedure regarding the steering box adjustment.It took about 5 minutes and made a huge difference.I got about 1 full turn on it ( index screw) and tightened it down. I drove slowly at first then it was like driving a different truck.I had to drive a few miles to stop moving the wheel back and forth( previous habit).My wife took it for a ride and noticed right away.Thank you guys for your help!!!

I will most likely put a new box in the truck soon.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

My 07 f-250 psd does the steering wheel shimmy thing when i hit "quick" bumps. THe ride is ok, but i am not pleased at all with bump steer from a factory truck. Thing is though, when i hook the boat up to it that all goes away. With the boat on it rides great and no bump steer. Bottom line, i think our trucks were designed to pull. They don't make great grocery getters.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

Hey 454 do you have a damper on your truck? my 4x4 cc drw had almost every opp. but didn't have a damper on it stock and bump steered like a mother, I put a $50 rancho damper on an it was all good.