Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Need advice on long distance towing >

Need advice on long distance towing

Notices

Need advice on long distance towing

Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on long distance towing

I have only towed my boat about 100 miles one way, and this season, I would like to tow farther. My boat isn't particularly fast (low 70's) and is more of a performance cruiser. Is it worth it to go to a poker run? What are common unexpected road problems that I might be able to prepare for ahead of time?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Low 70's isn't exactly slow but you can do a poker run in a rubber dingy if you wanted. Remember, "it's not a race" and getting there first doesn't get you anything but bragging rights. You will have a blast in your cruiser.

As far as towing, check your tires (tread, pressure, cracking, etc) including your spare, lube your wheel bearings, check lights, wiring, etc. How are your trailer brakes, when were they last checked? Make sure your hitch is in good condition and is rated for your trailer weight. Don't forget your transom straps (and bow safety strap)! Make sure your tow vehicle is up to date as well (tires, brakes, belts, hoses, etc) and is big enought to tow the boat (with a 47 Fountain you better have a one ton dually, minimum!).

Keep plenty of distance in front of you, anticipate stops and turns, watch out for the idiots on the road!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

also add to go ahead and map out a route so that you can see where fuel stops and such are at so you can guage your fuel distance to where to stop at, and a big breaker bar with the correct lugnut socket on it, impact grade for some of the trailer lugs are a buggar to get off, along with a good spare tire for bothe the rig and trailer.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire plugs,can of fix a flat,and portable air source. Spare bulbs.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh yea, and don't forget a jack for the trailer. Try it out at home first to make sure you can get it under the trailer (especially the middle axle) and that it will lift the wheel off the ground.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Well i cary a small tool box. It contains two spare sets of bearings and seals, and all the tools to do the swap. I also carry a good size jack, spare tire, and straps. Worst case strap the axle up and you can make it off the highway. One day i am going to be like my buddy and just have a whole spare hub ready to go. You never know what will break. I have lost all the studs and almost lost the wheel...actually only broke 7 of the 10. Can't think how many times i have heard of people having bearings go bad. Oh and do what others have suggested..with brakes and air pressure and grease.
Go to the poker runs, it isn't how fast, it is who had the most fun.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

man, you guys covered it all. ROCK ON!!!! make sure that your breakaway works also. and remember to have fun.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 510 Posts

Loud radio in truck will help keep your mind off what is behind you when parts start flying off!

You have gotten some great tips here seriously.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We found a few blocks of wood 2x6's will raise a flat better than a jack. just drive onto it with the good tire and don't have to worry about a jack falling or even having to carry one for the trailer. A boat of that size will require a very large cap jack. Also we now carry a battery powered impack gun. Saves even more time.

Just be carefull and enjoy...............................
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=marylandmark;2427784]A lot of poker runs are doing staggered starts- the big guns first than us slower guys after them.

Down here the BIG GUNS start 15 mins after the slower guys ..

Quick Reply: Need advice on long distance towing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.