Notices

reese dual cam sway control

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts
Default reese dual cam sway control

got a enclosed trailer to move and purchased a wd system and the dual cam control for sway..

anyone ever use/install...something is not right ..
Attached Thumbnails reese dual cam sway control-img_2462.jpg  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has had dual cam on TT I have towed for him, that looks like it is setup right. With weight on hitch , the bars should be horz. and the cams should be centered (truck and trailer straight obviously). Why are you questioning the setup?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

because the directions in the box we not exactly helpful.

i did some searching on the web and other set up's look like the cam drops lower so the wd bar is not to close to the cam yoke. but , this frame is 8" , so the cam yoke ceneter is close to the wd bars.

i thought the wd bars should be parallel with the frame?

if i drop any lower i'll have a sparkler show..
Attached Thumbnails reese dual cam sway control-66086.jpg  
Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is it doing?

It looks lile the adjustment on those cam links needs to be let out a little. The bars should be parallel- how's the tension? Too tight will make it ride funny and may bend the bars.

...and the hitch ball needs tightened.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

chris , it's a dry run on the ball , i don't have a socket big enough to crank down 300ft lbs..

i got it adjusted out ... i had to flip the shank and pull it back(top is slotted) to get the proper alignment for the bars in relation to the cams and also to raise the ball to get the proper height at the front and rear on the trailer frame.

i'm 1/8th inch differance front to rear on the main frame rails..

the haulmark frame is 8 inches plus being it's a car hauler is low to the ground to begin with.. making it that more difficult to get the proper angles with the bars/cams . the pic above you can clearly see that trailer frame isn't 8 inches...

directions specify that you keep equal amount of threads on both ends of the cam in relation to the yoke.

15 hours in this...talk about kick my azz
Attached Thumbnails reese dual cam sway control-img_2496.jpg   reese dual cam sway control-img_2506.jpg   reese dual cam sway control-img_2501.jpg  

Last edited by open87; 02-03-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

more pics..
as you can see i have the best angle i can possibly get with the clearance i have..the bars are just about as low as they can go to clear the cam yokes without hitting the pavement . i have about 5 inches so i will have to be carefull on real steep curbs, etc....

if the trailer was 6 inches..it would have been a whole lot easier...
Attached Thumbnails reese dual cam sway control-img_2505.jpg   reese dual cam sway control-img_2500.jpg   reese dual cam sway control-img_2507.jpg  

Last edited by open87; 02-06-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM

I assumed as much on the ball... but you never know. Did it once myself- got REALLY lucky.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/pdf/N26002.pdf

now , here's the real pisser... directions said 18 inches from center of ball to the center bolt on the cam assembly..well ,that is a "referance number"...mine was 15.5 inches..

found that out after drilling/tapping 2 holes

but , took it in stride , ran 1/2 inch stainless bolts in the holes until they bottomed out inside the frame..grinded down smooth ,little black paint , never know...

it's not like this new trailer has show quality paint to begin with...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 AM

I don't know about your specific hitch but most have pins to hold the chain tensioners in the locked position. I've had these pins shear off and lost a bar. On mine I take a chain and hook it over the tops of the round bar that you snap the tensioners up with. Keeps them from dropping.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Registered

good morning chris ,
yes i have the sqaure pins with the slot to hold in place...

i will look into doing something with more chain...good idea!...

ahhh ,now , today 's job is putting more d-rings in the floor.they came with backing plates , but , i think i need to make some 16 x 16 supplemental piece's of wood too for more distribution of the tension applied from the the straps. the d-rings that were factory installed have backing plates from cross frame to cross frame (16" oc)..

more fun

but , better than renting a big azz u haul ...

Quick Reply: reese dual cam sway control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.