Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic >

Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Notices

Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
The 3 lakes I go to are about 35 miles one way. I'll be making some 400 mile one way trips a couple times a year. I believe you guys when you say E/H is the best system. Just wondering if it's night and day difference better than surge DISC BRAKES (not regular surge drum)? I anticipate getting the new (to me) boat in a month or two. 35' w/triple axle trailer. I wouldn't split hairs over this subject but I have a big outlay of cash on a limited budget. I want to put up a boat shelter $2500 and pave a third drive for the boat $3500. Not to mention the purchase price of the boat.
If your going to boat at Lake Pleasant or Bartlett I'd definately step up and get the E/H setup, Ive cooked 2 different surge brake trailers coming out of Pleasant by the 10 ramp and once going into Bartlett on a long descent and the surge brakes wouldnt release unless you accelerated IMHO
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Registered

Good point, I didn't think about the brakes being applied the whole time I'm trailering down a grade.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to change my Kodiak disc over to EOH also. My trailer brakes are so touchy when empty, it makes the truck jump up and down visciously. It feels like the hitch is going to get torn off. No one can figure it out. So the EOH will be the cure for me. Plus I like the abilty to have full trailer braking when towing on wet pavement. My boat has pushed my truck several times to a start of a jackknife situation when stopping on wet roads.

EOH just seems to be the answer for many conscerns. Only positive about surge is that any vehicle can tow, no controlers needed.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have surge with disc and have thought about converting to EOH. But in the meantime, I put a switch on the dash so I can activate the backup solenoid to release the brakes going down a steep hill. You still have to speed up for the surge to work again. I do this to let the trailer brakes cool a bit on a long hill. I have a bright led on the switch to let me know when the solenoid is active.

All future trailers of mine will have EOH.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:49 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have EoH on my Myco under my Black Thunder and when I bought my 23 Concept I had them build the trailer with EoH disc on both axles. It was too much brake behind my dually so I removed the brakes from one axle and it is very well balanced now. Plus I now have a spare set up for future maintaince.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f311fr1
I have EoH on my Myco under my Black Thunder and when I bought my 23 Concept I had them build the trailer with EoH disc on both axles. It was too much brake behind my dually so I removed the brakes from one axle and it is very well balanced now. Plus I now have a spare set up for future maintaince.
which electric brake controler are you using? thats strange that you had too much braking,,my controler will adjust for response and how much brake is applied,,
Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered

This is a very interesting thread especially for a boat towing novice like me. In the future I plan on trailering my boat more often, mine currently is in a slip all season, and in preparation for that I'm refurbishing my Myco this spring. It's a tandem axle with surge/disc brakes carrying a Donzi 22ZX, a smaller boat than most of yours. Is this something that I should consider upgrading to, considering my boat isn't huge, or would it be overkill? I'm very interested in this because I have towed other cars on dollys etc. with surge setups and I hate the thump when braking and it soulds like this eliminates that. (Also, I plan on buying a tow vehichle that can do the job without being too big so this may help here too?)

After looking at these setups, I have a couple of questions. I hear about "controllers"; is this a specific part that must be installed in the tow vehicle or do new vehicles have it standard? (what is it?) Also, how would this conversion affect the current actuator/coupler setup on my trailer, would that be replaced with a new unit or remain? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm not sure.

I'd appreciate any comments..

John
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Default E/h

TO start with NO QUESTIONS ASKED ARE DUMB. controllers are most likely not standard . on smaller towe vehicles but can be added on and are worth there weight in gold. they are a small box shape about the size of 2 cigarette pack's . I have a 271 formula and my 1st trl was hydo breaks only a.k.a surge breaks they S**ked new trl has H/ELE would not be without them .
Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Donzi John,
The surge coupler is welded/bolted solid to keep it from sliding in/out as it currently does. The EOH is basically just like electric trailer brakes found on campers. Only difference is there elec. hyd pump that delivers the hyd pressure to your wheels.
As mentioned the EOH elimates the clunk, eleminates the brakes from dragging when going down hills, no more screwing with back up solenoids, you have trailer brakes while baking down the ramp (no more front wheels sliding) and the trailer won't push your truck thru an intersection when the pavement is wet. Your truck needs traction /resistance for the surge to work. Wet pavement lessens that traction.
IMO, no rig is too small to benefit from an EOH system.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Registered

I can't agree with US1 enough, I have a 20ft boat that weighs 4k# and I have stainless kodiak stainless brakes on every axle. My friends think I have brake issues, but I figure the extra set makes it totally legal and costs less then my ins. deductible. I am now thinking about converting from surge to EOH, has anyone shopped the EOH units lately, who has best $$?
I recently bought a controller for my truck to borrow a dump trailer for a neighbor/buddy so I figure I am 1/2 way there. Least that is what I am telling wife. :-)

Quick Reply: Surge Disc vs Electric o/Hydraulic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.