Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project >

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Notices

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
....... Jensen Triaxial decals to put back there lol....anyone even remember what they are?
Jensen were for the poo boys. The rich guys ran the Pioneers.

Mount them on the rear panel, facin backwards like them thar ski boats.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Jensen were for the poo boys. The rich guys ran the Pioneers.

Mount them on the rear panel, facin backwards like them thar ski boats.
I remember Jensen being the first to come out with the Tri, we were like "Three speakers in one!! Whoa!!....."

The Pioneer decks were where it was at though....they had separate bass and treble controls! not just a 'tone' control
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

GTO - You know a Late Model makes a helluva' road race car. What does that thing weigh like 2500? Im hoping for 3200 without me in it. Do you want to compete or just track day?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Comp - So you already have the car?.....those Mustangs make sweet vintage racer/track day car.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

this is so neat!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
GTO - You know a Late Model makes a helluva' road race car. What does that thing weigh like 2500? Im hoping for 3200 without me in it. Do you want to compete or just track day?
Just track days for now, then see what it leads into.

Problem is the chassis are so far offset to go left lol, I would need a perimeter chassis. not a big deal they are under 2k brand new. then put all my high dollar bolt on stuff. The car fully dressed with 23 gallons of fuel (184 lbs), & me (230) weighs is at 2700 I have 300 lbs of lead in the car just to make weight per our rules of 3000.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Haha

Were would I find the rules & different classes??

Most look like converted street cars ....

Quick peek under the hood.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Haha

Were would I find the rules & different classes??

Most look like converted street cars ....

Quick peek under the hood.

Nice....dont worry about h-jacking the thread. There are no rules in track days as far as the cars go. It is "assumed" your car is safe.

There is two types of Track days

#1) a bunch of guys get together, rent the track run what you brung and just have at it all day, could be a blast, could be a disaster if one guy thinks he's King S hit and hes going to "teach everyone a lesson"

#2) There are companies that put on track days for a living. They usually have instructors for real novices. The one Ive been out on in my Iroc had two groups which is the normal way of doing it.

If it is your first time and they dont know you, you go out with the "slow" guys for at least a couple of 20 min sessions. If you dont look like a weapon out there, drive predictable lines and turn some decent times you are "asked" if you want to go up to the "fast"group, much faster drivers and generally faster cars. Some all out race cars. Some racers use them for test and tune. You dont have to move up if you dont want to.

In both groups there is strictly no passing in corners, if you catch the guy ahead you have to be waved past by the car ahead on a straight. The idea is to have a car at the end of the day as many guys drive their Vettes Porsche's Lambos to the track. Ive always found someone about as fast as me and we have a good time trying to catch each other while passing slower cars without the worry of some a hole thinking its the last lap at Monaco. If a guy gets up to your back bumper then you gotta wave him by....sorta like touch Football.

I know a guy who did track days for 3 yrs before he stepped up, got his racing licence and races in GT3

Do you know how the GT1,2,3,4,5 competition system works?

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 10-24-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds easy enough. I do not know the difference between GT1-5 we are not required to have any type of license here.

Im going to start looking for a perimeter chassis, my car now is around 60% left side height & around 45% cross, 4" left stagger. Im not sure I could get around ANY right turns even a 5mph haha.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Sounds easy enough. I do not know the difference between GT1-5 we are not required to have any type of license here.

Im going to start looking for a perimeter chassis, my car now is around 60% left side height & around 45% cross, 4" left stagger. Im not sure I could get around ANY right turns even a 5mph haha.
I dont know what sanctioning body is in your area but Id be surprised if no licence was required to race (not track day)

Actually I can only comment on the way they do the GT classes around here in the CASC but Im very sure they do it the same pretty much anywhere else. Your car would be a considered a GT car or a "sedan" as opposed to an "open wheel"

You will have a transponder installed on your car to monitor lap times. More than likely you will start out in the GT5 class. Its like bracket racing. For numbers sake lets say the breakout time for a GT5 is 1min 45sec. If you go out and run faster than that you will be moved up to GT4 which may have a 1:40 breakout, GT3 a 1:35 and so on . GT1 is the fastest class with full on tube frame Trans Am cars.

The 9 is my buddies Pro Truck he runs a approx 420hp sbc and he runs in GT3, he figures he would need about 500/520hp to step up to GT2 as Mosport has a long back straight. The 151 wins in GT1, the 3 others are GT1s too but since GT1 is the top class, you cant go any higher theres quite a difference in speed($$) In a 30 min sprint the 151 laps up to 4th or 5th place. I love that little TR7, custom tube frame nasty little sbc. The 92 is another fav of mine orig built in something like 1980 it cant run with the 151 but has tons of cool factor, that car rocks. Although who knows how fast it would be if the driver of the 151 drove it.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-racing-003.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-dougs-cars-006.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-dougs-cars-007.jpg  

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-dougs-cars-009.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-dougs-cars-008.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 10-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.