Notices

Trailer tire ?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trailer tire ?

I know I need new tires for my trailer. I was thinking about using some rims and tires a friend has for sale they are 225/60r16 with a 1600lbs rating, but only a 1ply on the side wall if I am correct. I have 205/75 r14 on the trailer now, they are five lug and I believe the bolt pattern will match.
So my question is should I buy these or just put new tires on the old rims. The weight of the boat and trailer should be under 6k. It`s a formula 242LS on a steel trailer.

Any help would be great, I know i will get a straight on OSO
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer tires have a stronger sidewall that can withstand more heat. I wouldnt recommend using anything other than a trailer tire. IMO
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trailer tires have a much stiffer sidewall construction to help fight sway. I also wouldn't want a low-profile tire on a trailer. Trailers catch alot of curbs on turns and while a single hit might not kill it, a few of them will definitely lead to an early demise. Also, trailer wheels need to have a higher side-thrust rating. They scuff on tight turns and you can pop the center out of a cheap cast wheel. Also, just like tires, wheels have load ratings. Just about any steel wheel will meet the rating but these cheap Chinese cast aluminum wheels that are all over the tire stores and Ebay often have lower load capacity.

You have to ask youself- how much is it worth to avoid a roadside breakdown or prevent a blowout that could potentially lead to an accident?

Tire are cheap.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

You need at least C load range tires for that load. And, you want to have ST (special trailer) tires, radial recommended. Many of us are also running LT (light truck) tires on our trailers, but you can't skimp on them. You want D or E load range if you do so. The Firestone Trans Force LT highway rib is a great tire for this application.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Trailer tires have a much stiffer sidewall construction to help fight sway. I also wouldn't want a low-profile tire on a trailer. Trailers catch alot of curbs on turns and while a single hit might not kill it, a few of them will definitely lead to an early demise. Also, trailer wheels need to have a higher side-thrust rating. They scuff on tight turns and you can pop the center out of a cheap cast wheel. Also, just like tires, wheels have load ratings. Just about any steel wheel will meet the rating but these cheap Chinese cast aluminum wheels that are all over the tire stores and Ebay often have lower load capacity.

You have to ask youself- how much is it worth to avoid a roadside breakdown or prevent a blowout that could potentially lead to an accident?

Tire are cheap.
Good advice. I always roll on the best when it comes to cars, trailers, etc. The only thing between you and the road is your tires. Why skimp here? You may want to weight that boat and trailer. My guess is you are looking at more than 6K in combined weight.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

I would find out what myco would use for a tire rating and size and go for the same
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys, I was a little unsure about the tires, I have trailer tires on my trailer now, I guess I will replace with new tires. I don`t want any accidents and I don`t want to lose a day on the water if something goes wrong.

Thanks

Mark
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

there is nothing worse than being on a trip and sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire or a bearing failure. Those roadside service trucks will charge you for one tire the cost of all new ones if you have it done yourself
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to stay with your existing wheels, you can move up to a 215/75R14 with no problem. That will give you a little more load carrying capacity and run a little cooler.

Mitch