Notices

GMC 3500 - Good or Bad ?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 648 Likes on 305 Posts

Dont they say on the door post plate or door all the GVWR and its what the LAW looks at when you have a problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oklaoutlaw
Dont they say on the door post plate or door all the GVWR and its what the LAW looks at when you have a problem.
not on the door for a gmc 08 in owners man
Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This is not that hard. Why does it get hashed out every week for every single individual and truck?
Maybe because it is much harder than you think. I think I have a pretty good grip on physics, weights, and transportation (20+ years of experience), I still can't find any vehicle that can legally tow my boat trailer (a std Myco triple axle 38' with a 2-5/16 ball hitch). If you really check the law and your insurance policy, you will get a surprise. Did you for instance know that you may not legally tow an empty trailer with a rating higher than 7500lbs behind a GM dually? Sounds dumb as that rating is compatible with a fancy bass boat, yet still that is the law.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

why are you against weight distributing?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims
Maybe because it is much harder than you think. I think I have a pretty good grip on physics, weights, and transportation (20+ years of experience), I still can't find any vehicle that can legally tow my boat trailer (a std Myco triple axle 38' with a 2-5/16 ball hitch). If you really check the law and your insurance policy, you will get a surprise. Did you for instance know that you may not legally tow an empty trailer with a rating higher than 7500lbs behind a GM dually? Sounds dumb as that rating is compatible with a fancy bass boat, yet still that is the law.
What's the catch on the empty trailer?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
why are you against weight distributing?
Same reason as any other Myco owner that has stuff mounted on the fron of the trailer, there is no room. It will also tear up the trailer (which leads to rust) and lets face it - it will not add to the look of a Myco that has been made to look good, sturdy and reliable. On a travel trailer with a close to 45 degree angle on the main frames going from the hitch, no problem, on a boat trailer I don't want one. There is other ways to compensate for a heavy trailer, i.e. air bags, helper springs, air shocks and the like. I have finally managed to get in touch with GM pr. e-mail, the results are in. A GM 3500 dually crew cab may not tow anything on the hitch with a rating (not the actual weight) higher than 7.500lbs without a weight distributing hitch. With a WD, a GM 3500 CC dually can tow a trailer with a rating up to 13.000lbs, regardless of actual weight. I am going Ford (after maaaany years of GM) F-350, newer than 2005, which can pr. manufaturer tow a conventional trailer without a WD up to 15.000lbs, regardless of rating. I figured that if I am going to trade in the Sub for a better towing vehicle I might as well make it legal. I have dug up some facts that to me was amazing with respect to GM trucks. Since I live in Nevada, I will also go to DMV after I get my F-350 and have a "J" rating (required for towing any trailer with a rating over 10.000lbs, regardless of actual trailer weight) added to my DL, this will make me totally legal, covered by my insurance, and will keep me out of trouble for the same (or less) price than a GMC dually that I intended to buy. I wish Mr. Sunkin would have commented to my thread as I believe he has a pretty good amount of knowledge on the subject, and could confirm the facts that I have come up with.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fords will tow 15K but need a WD hitch according to my 08 PS supplement. A professional Tower I spoke to didn't think a WD hitch was necessary for a boat on a factory trailer. He said the trailer is made for the boat so the load is always balanced. My fuel tank is more or less over the wheels and the truck bumper only sinks 1 inch so I think he is probably right. One note of interest, my Ford F-350 DRW has a 2 1/2 inch receiver. Tougher to get hitches but should be stronger
Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What's the catch on the empty trailer?
After meeting with the service supervisor and contacting GM directly pr e-mail I found that a GM 3500 CC dually can NOT pr. manufacturer to tow anything with a rating higher than 13.000lbs. They do not state, and will not take the risk of changing the wording in their manuals. Without a WD hitch the limit is 7.500lbs. I.o.w. it doesn't matter how much the trailer actually weigh, they go by the rating. Lots of folks here tow Mycos with 18K ratings and 15K (like mine), and pr.GM you can't even tow that trailer empty. Ford on the other hand publish their ratings with maximum loaded weight, regardless of rating. Believe you me, I was very surprised to find the real numbers as well. I started reading all the small print and realized that a GM will get me in trouble, should anything happen. I do not think there is any difference in capability between the two manufaturer, but there sure is a lot of difference in responibility.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjr
Fords will tow 15K but need a WD hitch according to my 08 PS supplement. A professional Tower I spoke to didn't think a WD hitch was necessary for a boat on a factory trailer. He said the trailer is made for the boat so the load is always balanced. My fuel tank is more or less over the wheels and the truck bumper only sinks 1 inch so I think he is probably right. One note of interest, my Ford F-350 DRW has a 2 1/2 inch receiver. Tougher to get hitches but should be stronger
Where is that supplement? Ford stated 15.000lbs without a WD. You also obviously have a class V hitch receiver, is there anything stated on the receiver itself? This could be interesting....
Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered

I have that supplement, too. You need wd even on a ford f450 to be legal. I had a diamond plate welded to the front of my Myco to protect it from the trailer when I used to tow it with a class 8 tractor so it wouldn't bounce as much. It looked like it was made that way and didn't detract from the appearance. It actually enhanced it. It took about 1 minute to connect the sway bars and made it tow much better. Unless you see it specifically printed in the specs -- conventional towing without weight distributing hitch -- don't trust it.

Quick Reply: GMC 3500 - Good or Bad ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.