Notices

truck or trailer tire?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have AAA as well. They have an "RV+" membership which will service any trailer that you are towing as well. If you break down, they send 2 (tow) trucks and you get free towing for 100 miles.
Sorry about the hijack here. . .

Brian, have you used your AAA service to tow a truck and trailer? I have AAA RV as well and I needed it last year out in CA to tow my 1 ton PU and my 40' gooseneck flatbed about 8 miles to the dealer.

Long story short, they sent one HD wrecker to tow the whole thing at once (which is what I wanted), but they charged me a service call to cover towing my PU and I still had to pay the wrecker by the hour to tow the trailer (even though it was one wrecker, one tow).

Bottom line, I could have called the tow company directly and had them do exactly what they did, for the exact same price and not had to lose a service call on my AAA account or deal with AAA's BS over the phone.

IMO, dealing with a tow company directly (when you get stranded and are towing something large) is the better way to go. AAA has more ways of getting out of things than most people realize. I used to be in the towing business and this wasn't the only time AAA has jerked me around. Frankly, I'll take my chances with my laptop connection and find a local company directly to help me.

Ok. Back to tires.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by HayJay
Sorry about the hijack here. . .

Brian, have you used your AAA service to tow a truck and trailer? I have AAA RV as well and I needed it last year out in CA to tow my 1 ton PU and my 40' gooseneck flatbed about 8 miles to the dealer. ...

Ok. Back to tires.
Nope, I have not had to use them, but I like knowing its there if I get into a real bind. I carry a lot of trailer rolling parts as spares, and a lot of tools when I tow. I specifically signed up in the event that if I have a truck issue, that I will not have to leave my boat on the side of an Interstate somewhere to get the truck attended to.