Notices

Harley Road King Classic?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harley Road King Classic?

Any opinions? Looking to fill the gap before and after boating season.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rd king

Are you looking for a road king?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will be buying probably end of summer or it will sit until then anyway.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have both a Road King and a Heritage Softail Classic. Had the Heritage first, and loved everything but about it except two things: Long distances on the highway were wearing due to the "B" motor's high frequency buzz (and that took 2-4 hours to happen), and the lack of ABS. Got the Road King this year to correct those issues, but they may not be important to you.

The Heritage has similar sharp looks to the RK Classic, and you feel more "in" the bike than "on" the bike when riding. The rear passenger sits higher, and is more likely to see over the driver than on a RK.

The RK will ride slightly better unless you lower it, and is easier to adjust for different loads. It has a higher ground clearance, and greater lean angles, but does not have as "tight" a feel. The "A" motor is a joy on the highway, but shakes too much at idle (My watch has actually bruised my wrist at a stop light from the shaking). By enriching the fuel air mixture that smooths out some, but it is the nature of the beast. The rear foot rests on the RK are more forward than the Heritage, and passengers with short legs often rub their calfs on the crash bars, which gets uncomfortable after awhile. Also, even with the rear floor boards up, they still stick out a ways, and the driver's legs are always bumping them in anything other than a perfect stop and go. With them down and a passengers foot on them, it gets really bad.

This last one I can not explain, but the RK feels taller with a higher center of gravity, especially when pushing it around the garage, not just when straddling it. Looking at them side by side, the RK just doesnt look like that should be the case.

The RK Classic's bars are lower than the Heritage's bars, and on many Police Road Kings, they actually use Heritage bars or very similar for long term comfort.

Finally, my Heritage is an 05 with the 88 engine and 5 speed transmission. The RK is an 07, with a larger engine and 6 speed transmission. LOVE the 6 speed, as I was always trying to shift into it on the 5 speed on the highway. The RK just purrs down the interstate and you arrive fresh. The Heritage is more fun on slower back roads and in the city.

Hopefully this helps you with your choice.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Go with a Streetglide, lower saddle height, put the short windshield on it and enjoy it, the big difference is the Road King has a removable windshield versus the Streetglide has a bat wing fairing,,,,but the biggest plus for the Streetglide is the radio versus no radio on the Road King, and they are damn near the same price.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

I have a 2003 Screaming Eagle 100th Anniversary Road King with 103 CI stroker motor. This bike has everything Harley can put on a bike. There were only about 3000 of these made. They are all hand assembled and built. It has 5600 miles on it. It is for sale. The bike is an excellent riding, long distance tourer. It has a removable and adjustable windshield. The bike is fast and comfortable. I have just put it up for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails Harley Road King Classic?-2004-harley-road-king-001.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slick02
Go with a Streetglide, lower saddle height, put the short windshield on it and enjoy it, the big difference is the Road King has a removable windshield versus the Streetglide has a bat wing fairing,,,,but the biggest plus for the Streetglide is the radio versus no radio on the Road King, and they are damn near the same price.
I agree with the Street Glide. Looks good and functional with more standard equipment that is optional on a road king. I've owned them all and currently have a street glide and a screaming eagle road glide which I've put over 50,000 miles on in the last 8 years, but last year I took a 6000 mile 14 day trip on the street glide, and loved every second of it. I did add cruise control to it before I took the long trip on it.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Registered

I've heard me sing,,,,,,I NEED the radio, I've been stripping my baggers down to Streetglide trim for years(I buy the Classic) install a Roadglide seat the 10" smoked windshield and put detachable hardware on the tourpack(so I can put it on for road trips) I've been doing that since the mid 90's. And the Classic is the same money as a Streetglide and you get the crashbars, bag rails, spotlights and tourpack.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Streetglide all the way!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stree glide. or road glide.. road glide is the best riding bike harley has..imo
Attached Thumbnails Harley Road King Classic?-lori-049.jpg  

Quick Reply: Harley Road King Classic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.