Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for anyone who has blown-up a Duramax >

Looking for anyone who has blown-up a Duramax

Notices

Looking for anyone who has blown-up a Duramax

Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 Cummins and I "HAD" a big chip on it. I continually had injectors blowing apart, apparantly due to the huge increase in fuel rail pressure from the chip. My Dodge dealer repaired it each time, no problems. On the 3rd failure the service manager told me I should consider removing the chip. I did. I have 90K on it now. No problems since removing the chip at 60K.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I just don't understand how it can get to 1500* without any power adder...

If an injector leaks in the cylinder and there is enough compression to ignite the charge, it will burn the extra fuel. The extra fuel will increase egt significantly. The freeze frame data will record the egt.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by stainless
How did you determine the egt, boost, etc? was the trailer a gooseneck or a ball hitch? was the tranny in tow haulmode and in the manual or automatic setting ? Just curious i'm on my 4th duramax and while the tuner will give you boost egt etc i didnt know you could get it without ? Is that the data obtained by hooking up to the gm computer (freeze frame )? Or did you get the freeze frame data by calling Jeff Girardi ? (just kidding)Thanks
I have boost and Pyro gauges in the truck. I remember looking at the Pyro gauge and the temp was up there. I was hauling a gooseneck and I was in the automatic tow/ haulmode. Lots of good that did! I told them to take the computer where ever they want and look at it! This truck is stock! The dealer even told the rep there is nothing on this vehicle.
General Motors has been using this as a loophole to blow off it's customers. I have been collecting information now from over half a dozen other unhappy General Motors customers all over the country. It is showing a "HUGE" pattern that G.M. follows when it comes to their warranty coverage on their customers vehicles. Besides my wife being a litigation attorney, We now have another attorney that handles class action law suits looking at coming on board. We need to see first if it is more cost and time efficient to go with a class action or to go with individual suits and use the information from everyone to back-up each of the claims. I tried starting at the bottem with this problem and found it to be a waste of time. Even the dealer is fustrated with their own company and are on my side.
Now I have gone to the top of the corp. executive ladder at General Motors. My letter was sent registered to their legal team and cc'ed to all of G.M's top exec's. We are starting to get calls back from all different levels. I would hope it falls on the right desk and they want to nip it in the butt!
General Motors know they have a "HUGE" problem with these trucks. Overheating problems suck. There is too much documented proof as to whats going on! Like I said before I like my truck and I understand things can happen. Just get it fixed and let me be on my way!

Last edited by Speedpro1; 05-20-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

Just to play devil's advocate, why would you have boost and pyro guages in a stock truck ?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

If your dealer feels it is not abuse and should be warranty, they can make the call. They have to call the Product Quality Center, explain what failed and give a cost/replacement comparison. Then they make a decision to replace or repair the engine. Why is your dealer complicating things. If the GM rep said there wasnt a device on it, then it will fly. The rep is the eyes and ears for GM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by stainless
Just to play devil's advocate, why would you have boost and pyro guages in a stock truck ?
Because I tow with it! Those are gauges that should come with any diesel truck stock, but they don't. If you ever had a big rig you would understand.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tote-N-One
If your dealer feels it is not abuse and should be warranty, they can make the call. They have to call the Product Quality Center, explain what failed and give a cost/replacement comparison. Then they make a decision to replace or repair the engine. Why is your dealer complicating things. If the GM rep said there wasnt a device on it, then it will fly. The rep is the eyes and ears for GM.
Not all the time. The owner and the rep. don't play well with each other.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

What's the use in having the gauges if you don't heed their warning? I was an owner operater for a few years so I know what you are saying about the gauges.

Originally Posted by Speedpro1
Because I tow with it! Those are gauges that should come with any diesel truck stock, but they don't. If you ever had a big rig you would understand.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tote-N-One
If an injector leaks in the cylinder and there is enough compression to ignite the charge, it will burn the extra fuel. The extra fuel will increase egt significantly. The freeze frame data will record the egt.
so why doesn't it smoke or have a fuel knock?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedpro1
I have a big rig! Renegade on a freightliner columbia chassis with a 450 mercedes.
However,when referring to a duramax pickup ( which is what i thought we were talking about) in normal factory stock tune, i would imagine that you are not going to overboost or overheat the exhause gas temperaturesto the #'s you were referring to.
When i ran the edge with attitude controller(with boost and egt) on my last truck(2006 gmc 3500 Duramax) in stock modes, the boost or the egt's never got near those #'s...as a matter of fact it cut the fuel when the egt got to 1450 in power mode 6! just an outside observation. You would think that the factory computer would cut fuel and boost before it ever got that hot or ran that much boost. esp in tow/haul mode.

Quick Reply: Looking for anyone who has blown-up a Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.