Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
straight electric drum brakes... >

straight electric drum brakes...

Notices

straight electric drum brakes...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
thanks for the replies.

I do understand how electric drums work Chris, as always you're a wealth of good info

I mean 2 sets of EOH 13" Kodiaks has got to equal the stopping power of 3 sets of drums right?
I'm not worried about the legalities, just the function.
The explanation was more pointed towards Reddog who was mentioning wheel cylinders. But I mis-read his post.

On 2 axles, that's usually the most common configuration. It would be an extreme situation where you'd need three axles with brakes.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 06-09-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have full Elec. brakes and my Triple Axle Trlrt and would never have anything else again. I have not had one issue!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I was gonna post more last night but my 8 year old Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse transceiver took a dump!

can't complain, that's pretty unheard of life out one from what I hear...so I bought another Logitech set with an optical mouse this time, the only problem is it doesn't have the thum-side doubleclick on this mouse, I was fond of that.

BACK ON TOPIC:

So the input so far is that as far as getting these surge drums working properly WHEEL CYLINDERS are probably the fix.

As far as EOH discs go, as I suspected 2 (rear) axles will fine.
Good as this keeps the cost down and a third set can be added anytime later if need be.
I can gut parts off the backing plate and use an empty set of drums for idler hubs on the forward axle right?
I don't see why not?

am I following OK?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem on using the hubs.

I was just having this conversation with another member this weekend. The Kodiak calipers will have an NPT to 45 flare adapter. Do not use teflon tape on the NPT thread- use an approved high-pressure hydraulic thread sealant. Teflon tape works for low- pressure only.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
- use an approved high-pressure hydraulic thread sealant.
noted

looks like 2 sets of Kodiak 13" integrals, Brakerite SD pump, dual battery breakaway, all new Timkens, seals some lines and junction blocks...

about 2K + a controller.
What's the latest concensus there? Seems there are a couple in particular that work best with the BrakeRite unit?
The original Prodigy?

nobody has issue with 2 sets of discs on a triple for now? Total rig wieght around 13K + or - for fuel.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippem
noted

looks like 2 sets of Kodiak 13" integrals, Brakerite SD pump, dual battery breakaway, all new Timkens, seals some lines and junction blocks...

about 2K + a controller.
What's the latest concensus there? Seems there are a couple in particular that work best with the BrakeRite unit?
The original Prodigy?

nobody has issue with 2 sets of discs on a triple for now? Total rig wieght around 13K + or - for fuel.
Rip,

I'm sure you have some wheel cylinders frozen up. I think I may have a whole set of wheel cylinders from Eagle sitting on the shelf in my storage building in Ohio. I will be flying in there Thursday. Let me know if you want them and I can ship them out to you. I would take the boat off the trailer and just go through all six wheels, rebleed the system, and you are done for a little while. It would be a very inexpensive fix for you until you are ready to convert over to the EOH.

The controller I have is a Tekonsha Voyager. Not sure if they still make this model.

Chris
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states, as in MD, all trailers over 10k must have brakes on all alxes. Be sure to check so not to have an issue at a later time.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 41 apache total weight is 15,000 it stops great with two axles with disk and electric pump. I have had electric on three axles on a lighter boat does not stop that great after a couple of dunks. One more thing the linings fall off.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Rip,

I'm sure you have some wheel cylinders frozen up. I agree at the very least not returning consistantly.

I think I may have a whole set of wheel cylinders from Eagle sitting on the shelf in my storage building in Ohio. I will be flying in there Thursday. Let me know if you want them and I can ship them out to you. That would be fantastic I'll PM you.

I would take the boat off the trailer and just go through all six wheels, rebleed the system, and you are done for a little while. It would be a very inexpensive fix for you until you are ready to convert over to the EOH. This is really what I need to do right now.

The controller I have is a Tekonsha Voyager. Not sure if they still make this model. Yes, I had heard or read in past post search that the Voyager works well also, and I believe it is still available. I believe I saw it the other night on brakecontroller.com- one of southwest wheel's sites
Thanks Chris. PM sent
Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
I have a 41 apache total weight is 15,000 it stops great with two axles with disk and electric pump.

14apache, that is a good word of encouragement, thanks!

scottc-
I will check NYS DOT to verify.
I doubt locally I'll get hassled (you gotta get stopped first) and second of all the "phantom" drums on the first axle may get by. At least there's something behind the wheels on the first axle resembling brakes!

Last edited by Rippem; 06-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: straight electric drum brakes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.