Notices

Tow Vehicle Questions

Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Vehicle Questions

I'm looking for my first boat - 25 to 30ft powerboat with a single engine. I realize that different boats will have different weights, but is it safe to tow a 25 to 30ft boat with a Chevrolet 1500? I believe the tow rating on the 1500s is around 8700lbs (with 4.10 gearing).

The issue that I am running into, is that most likely I'd like to upgrade to a larger boat in two years. At that point I'd be looking for a 30ft boat or larger with twin engines. I doubt a 1500 could pull a boat of that size.

Do most of you just go ahead and purchase a diesel tow vehicle regardless? Or are some of you pulling with 1500s and similar trucks?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best answer is- it depends. There's a huge spread between some of the lighter 25's and the heavier 30 foot boats.

Towing at or near maximum capacity is never fun. Towing above that point is dangerous and illegal. If you have an accident your insurance may not cover it. If someone is injured or killed ans a result, your misdemeanor charge could become a felony, dependng on just how seriously you disregarded a safety issue.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum- I'd suggest you start there. You can learn about GVW and GCWR and how they apply. Anoter important thing to become knowledgeable on is trailer brakes.

Short answer- I wouldn't town anything above the 25 with a 1500. it's a big car, not much more. Above that, I'd use the 2500. Floating axles, heavier frames, and real brakes are all going to make for a more solid, more controlled and a more relaxed ride. If you arrive at the ramp worn out from the tow and rattled from the close-call, how much fun is the rest of the day going to be.

Lastly, keep this in mind- anything will pull your boat on a dry, level, smooth interstate with no one else around. Where I tow, we have hills, nighttime, rain, surface issues, poorly cared for berms and lots of idiot drivers. Towing can be an experience at times. I want something that pulls the boat where I want to go, not something that is constantly being pulled where the boat wants to go. i really don't want something that isn't able to yank the boat back from the edge of a mishap.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

It must be a fairly new 1,500 to have an 8,700 rating......I'd consider it OK with up to a 6,500lbs boat. the trailer, fuel, and gear you'll be around max capacity of 8,700.......it won't be fun but you can do it. Some 25 ft boats will be close to that, other 30 footers may still be under that (29 fountain for example )
Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOU Might as well get the Dually Now, you know u are going to buy a bigger boat anyway !!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The automakers stopped letting engineers set tow ratings and allowed marketing to take on the task. You'll see identical vehicles that have had ever increasing tow ratings year after year. There have been no notable epiphanies in axle, spring or frame technology in the last decade and tires are built pretty much the same way as they were back in the 70's. The SAE is pressin for a unified standard to set tow ratinmgs and the automakers are agreeing.

Short version- 1/2 ton pickups are for towing bass boats.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
sandman
Gold Member

You can do small work with a big truck but not big work with a small truck. A 3/4 ton diesel, standard trans and 4wd (for those wet ramps) would be where I would start.

Because of fuel prices, the type of vehicle I just mentioned could be easily found at great prices. (used)
Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't have too much tow vehicle.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered

Negative Ghostrider. you may be able to pull it, stopping it will be a different story. In most cases 1/2 tons have smaller brakes and lack the proper tranny and engine oil cooling to do any 30' boat hauling and do it safely. Besides, for the price difference why would you buy a 1500? These days, the bigger the truck, the better the deal!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trailer brakes (EOH) will stop my truck but they failed last weekend. My F350 Dually got it stopped (Formula 382 & a bag of gas) but I was thinking that an F650 would not have been too much truck.

Having said that what really kept things from getting out of control was that I was the slowest vehicle on the highway.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered

It'll pull that but it'll be somewhat owned by the boat. I hated towing our 28 fter with my 1500. Just manhandled the truck too much for my liking. The 2WD 2500HD I have now is 100% better to tow with once you get into that weight range.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.