Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
need help identifying/locating this set up >

need help identifying/locating this set up

Notices

need help identifying/locating this set up

Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help identifying/locating this set up

Im trying to identify who builds this and what its called , Ive been wanting to buy a rollback for my personal use for a while, but the angle of the ramp with my low cars and the difficulty of loading motorcycles at the severe angle has kept me from making a move. This set up here looks exactly like what Im looking for.

I would like to buy or build this with a crew cab diesel pickup chassis with an aluminum deck .... any ideas? Im lost.

pics:

Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go to all the equipment shows and I've never seen one here in the States. It looks more like a rolloff container truck with a flatbed instead of a box or a bin.

I may have mentioned this before but I'd be astonished if you could find insurance for it. You couldn't imagine what they wanted for me to add one- I had to be re-rated both by my insurer and Worker's Comp as a towing company- an almost 5-times increase in premiums. Can't fathom that anyone would touch one for an individual- check before you part with your dough.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

Why not just use a tilt trailer/ the kind that tilts back then when you drive it forward it drops down to the deck. A 12K lb. one is less than 3k new on ebay and buy a dually/crew cab to pull it. When not in use you can drive the dually around and not get flagged down as a tow truck by every stranded motorist!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

jupiter, thankyou for your suggestion, I already currently use a dually and multiple trailer configurations. I have decided that a roll back, or what i posted pictures of would be a nice addition for convenience in certain situations that i find myself in often.

chris, Are you telling me that to get any type of insurance on a vehicle like this will be difficult? Even if its completely for personal use ? I havent even bothered to look into insurace yet , as ive had no problem insuring my other trailers, or my tractor-trailer rig.

would it be possible to get a roll off container rig and modify the box or bin ?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

State Farm wouldn't insure my Freeightliner that I use for towing the boat. The deemed it commercial. A rollback is a vehicle specifically designed to tow other vehicles. If you look at Worker's Comp classifications, they rate and charge you based on your lervel of exposure to hazards- office workers are in the bottom classification, tow truck drivers are in the top classification... with foresters, utility linemen and miners. Insurance follows suit.

On the rolloff- you could buy one and just torch the sides of the box off. Weld on whatever you needed- or have a bed made from scratch.

But like I said, your first call should be to a good independent agent that knows what he's doing. The captive agents will tell you anything- most have never even spoken to a true underwriter- or have that access.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

its in the middle east
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen ones of these at a big truck show and they had a 37 ford on it i will go back thru my car pictures and find it
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Registered

A friend of mine has something you might consider looking into, It's on a 3500 Chevy dually chassis with frame extensions, it's a ramp truck with a Hodges body on it, and the ramps have a pivot/hinge lock system about 3 or 4 feet into them with a small hydraulic ram on them to bring them up to level once they the front tires are on the extension. He insures his a a private use 3500 Chevy with no problems(he has some collector cars and uses it to move them,,,he bought it from a Corvette dealer that was upgrading.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
its in the middle east
You a Detective?

The Middle East was a given seeing Sultan written on the wrecker, the rag heads standing around and the ultra exotic car being towed.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
State Farm wouldn't insure my Freeightliner that I use for towing the boat. The deemed it commercial. A rollback is a vehicle specifically designed to tow other vehicles. If you look at Worker's Comp classifications, they rate and charge you based on your lervel of exposure to hazards- office workers are in the bottom classification, tow truck drivers are in the top classification... with foresters, utility linemen and miners. Insurance follows suit.

On the rolloff- you could buy one and just torch the sides of the box off. Weld on whatever you needed- or have a bed made from scratch.

But like I said, your first call should be to a good independent agent that knows what he's doing. The captive agents will tell you anything- most have never even spoken to a true underwriter- or have that access.
\
I have roll-off trucks and I did just what Chris talks about. I took a old bin cut the sides off and made just what you see it those pics. I put mine on large Freightliner rolloff trucks I can even carry a D-4 Cat on that bed. Works great.

Quick Reply: need help identifying/locating this set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.