Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New Suspension to help w/Trailering >

New Suspension to help w/Trailering

Notices

New Suspension to help w/Trailering

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Suspension to help w/Trailering

I bought a 2008 Dodge Durango. Towing capacity is just under 9k with my set up (under the total weight of my boat/trailer). It tows great, seems to stop OK, but I get major bounce back when I go over a bump (back end bounces up and down some, more then it should). The load distribution and tongue weight is dead on. Basically the suspension on it sucks!!! Anyone have a similiar experience with their tow vehicle? I'm looking for suggestions...do you think I can correct that with just replacing the shocks or do I need to switch out the springs to something a little more beefier? And what will that do to my ride quality when not towing?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 556 Posts

you can put air bags on the rear of the truck...or go with a weight distribution hitch to put the load on all 4 tires instead of just the rear of the truck...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wally
you can put air bags on the rear of the truck...or go with a weight distribution hitch to put the load on all 4 tires instead of just the rear of the truck...
Thought about the load dist hitch, but to be honest, the suspension is really terrible to begin with, and I hear that they only get worse as you put on more miles, so I don't mind putting in new stuff, just want to make sure I am doing the right things. I think new shocks would improve the ride in general, but I don't know that it would help when trailering. If anyone has some suggestions, pls let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet is probly changing to air shocks. I don't know that anyone makes air bags for trucks as small as yours but you could check.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Air bags. Then when you don't need them you still have a good ride.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Registered

Have 38 scarab with 1200 tongue wt, towing with 3500 duramax, simple cure was airbags on back. best $300 and 3hrs of my time to install I could of spent.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was working in Iraq we had a dozen Durango's that some brilliant person in logistics decided that we should put up-armor kits on, the kit weighed about 2300 pounds. They all rode exactly as you describe yours too. After the giant fiasco involved in getting approval to modify a government owned vehicle we installed air bags and compressors on all of them and the ride was significantly improved. They were still not what I wanted to be in when running from incoming fire though, when you hit a pothole doing 50 plus they reacted in some wild ways.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

You need a bigger truck. That Durango is made for people hauling; with a pop-up camper, or a pair of PWCs; no matter what the Dodge marketing department deems the tow rating ought to be.

Fact is, we never tow with the truck "empty". We've always got 3 days worth of luggage, and 2-5 people in the truck, tools, coolers, etc. etc. All of this weight diminishes from your overall GCWR. If your boat/trailer is already over the rating of your truck, you are already towing illegally, and just asking for more trouble.

Remember, fuel in the boat is 6 lbs. gallon; and water is 8 lbs. per gallon; then tools, anchors, lines, spare parts, etc. etc. too.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-15-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You need a bigger truck. That Durango is made for people hauling; with a pop-up camper, or a pair of PWCs; no matter what the Dodge marketing department deems the tow rating ought to be.

Fact is, we never tow with the truck "empty". We've always got 3 days worth of luggage, and 2-5 people in the truck, tools, coolers, etc. etc. All of this weight diminishes from your overall GCWR. If your boat/trailer is already over the rating of your truck, you are already towing illegally, and just asking for more trouble.

Remember, fuel in the boat is 6 lbs. gallon; and water is 8 lbs. per gallon; then tools, anchors, lines, spare parts, etc. etc. too.

If I ever go to a bigger boat, will def be getting a bigger truck. Wasn't ready for a pick up because most of the time (like you siad) I am people hauling, and it just made more sense for me at this point. I make 1-2 significant trips (200 or so miles) a year, but other then that I am driving 2 miles to and from the ramp. I figure if I am going to upgrade the suspension (which is something I want to do anyway) I might as well take into consideration any options that would help me while towing as well (also tow the sleds during the winter).

If I loaded my truck with a bunch of people and gear and hauled my boat with a full tank of gas I would be close to being over the limit, but I am usually pretty careful about that.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by handreasen
Have 38 scarab with 1200 tongue wt, towing with 3500 duramax, simple cure was airbags on back. best $300 and 3hrs of my time to install I could of spent.
Only $300? What kind of airbags did you buy?

Quick Reply: New Suspension to help w/Trailering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.