Notices

how do you bleed disc brakes

Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you bleed disc brakes

Does any one know how the proper way to bleed disc brakes on a trailer that has a bleed screw on the top of the assy and one on the bottom. I have pumped the brake away and have solid oil comming out all eight locations and still no brakes. The trailer is brand new, Had a broken oil line. Replaced and I need help?????????????
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that when you say you have solid oil, you mean brake fluid. Are these surge brakes? If so, you may have to check the Master cylinder to be sure that it is not air bound. If you have a manual activation lever, engage it slowly, with the master cylinder cover removed. If you see bubbles floating up, you either have trapped air, and need to bleed it, or you could have a bad seal within. If you have trapped air, remove the line from the master cylinder outlet and replace with a short tube that you can place back from the master cylinder outlet into the fluid reservoir. Cycle the master cylinder slowly engaging and disengaging, until no more bubbles appear. Then hook it back up correctly and begin the bleeding process again. Start with the wheel cylinders that are located furthest away and bleed until you obtain solid fluid. It is best to place transparent tubing over the bleeder fitting and have it empty into a jar or can. This helps to identify if you have completely eliminated air ( bubbles ) in that cylinder. Generally, on caliper reservoirs that have a top and bottom fitting, one starts with the lower fitting, and finishes with the upper. If the caliper reservior is already filled with fluid, the top is all that needs to be used. I don't mean any insult, but be sure you close the fitting prior to releasing the manual master cylinder lever, or you will suck air back in. Good Luck, hope this helps.