Notices

Heritage trailers

Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heritage trailers

I can't keep tires on my 29' Heritage trailer. It has a GVWR of 11,200 lbs. Each axle is rated to carry 3,733 lbs. All this info came off the trailer. Heritage installed 215/75/14 Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer.
I spoke with a Goodyear factory rep today & guess what? Those tires are not rated to carry the weight Heritage expects them to.
Goodyear says the tire should carry a maximum weight rating of 1870lbs. That only gives a cushion of 7lbs.
I've weighed my boat & trailer & together with a decent load of fuel, not full, not empty, but loaded it weighed almost 11k lbs.
Why would Heritage do what they did?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bare minimum they can get by with, same as most of the other trailer builders. About the only thing to do is swap out the axles with some higher capacity ones if you plan on keeping the boat for awhile. Or try to find some 15" wheels with the 5 bolt wheel pattern, iirc the 15" tires have a higher load cap, but its been awhile since I was looking and collecting data.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
I can't keep tires on my 29' Heritage trailer. It has a GVWR of 11,200 lbs. Each axle is rated to carry 3,733 lbs. All this info came off the trailer. Heritage installed 215/75/14 Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer.
I spoke with a Goodyear factory rep today & guess what? Those tires are not rated to carry the weight Heritage expects them to.
Goodyear says the tire should carry a maximum weight rating of 1870lbs. That only gives a cushion of 7lbs.
I've weighed my boat & trailer & together with a decent load of fuel, not full, not empty, but loaded it weighed almost 11k lbs.
Why would Heritage do what they did?
Eagle does the same EXACT thing,my twin axle eagle uses the same tires and my boat and trailer loaded weigh about 7500 lbs. When I first bought my first duramax I could tow so fast that I drove like a maniac towing,I went thru numerous tires,sometimes 2 at a time. I switched to goodyear marathons,I keep them at 50 psi cold,fill them with nitrogen,try not to turn super sharp at intersections and parking lots which drags them sideways and breaks the cords and I never drive over 78 mph towing anymore. Since doing that I haven't had a flat in 3 years,I used to go thru at least 4-6 tires a season. On long trips I try to keep boat low on gas until I get where I'm going and I also do not allow my wife to load boat down with bs (she used to). In YOUR case,I can't even imagine those tires under your boat,my buddie had a 2000 29 outlaw and his trailer had 16.5's on it,he never had a flat the whole time he owned it (6 years).
I think tire size is a price point option when trailers are built,I have seen Eagle trailers with identical boats to mine that had 225 or 235 15's on them,the dealer must have spec'd it that way. My trailer also came with steel wheels,the ones with bigger tires had fancier rims. Not sure what you can do now because your stuck with the stupid 4.5" bolt pattern and matching fenders,I'm suprised your axles are rated at 3733lbs,when I have bought them for other projects they are usually called 3500 lb axles which oputs you at a limit of 10,500. The next step up is 5000 lb axles with 6 bolt or 8 bolt rims but by the time you bought the axles and brakes you would quickly approach 2000$ plus the tires they use wouldn't clear your fenders. I feel your pain,Smitty
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 632 Likes on 293 Posts

I had a Heritage w 15" tandum wheels that came with my 29 and I was always having tire issues. Ordered a new Heritage w 16" wheels and still tandum and all problems went away. And the new one has LEDs all around.
Quinlan
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only people that never seem to complain about tires and blowout are people running 16" tires and wheels. Jason there is a long thread on PBP.com about trailer tires and wheels and also on TMB about the same subject. Go to 15" and get some Maxxis tires and I bet your troubles will go away. I argued with Magnum here in Austina about 14" vs 15" and they wouldn't work with me at all. I agree, I think they all are just trying to save money on manufacturing costs and once your out the door----tuff luck!!!!!
Jay
Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason i got a tailer i will probably parting out w/ sometime in spring. its triple axle w/ 16" rims.