Notices

Advantages of a dually

Old 09-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages of a dually

What is the advantage of having a dually over a srw truck. I have a 29 Fountain (9,500 - 10,000lbs best real world guest with gas, trailer, etc) and a 3500 srw diesel would be more then enough to tow it realistically, but what are the real world advantages of the DRW?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 510 Posts

For that boat, no advantage.

For something bigger the DRW will just keep the road sway down and puts more rubber on the ground in the event of a braking/handling issue.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Had a 31 Formula and a 3/4 ton truck......did OK but not great. Bought a 38 Formula. Towing down the highway anytime anything passed by the truck would sway all over the place. I'd get to the ramp and already be sweating from the drive. Bought a dually.....75 on cruise control and don't worry about tractor trailers passing me or me passing them now. Pulling power basically the same, sway GREATLY improved, "OH CHIT" stopping ability also greatly improved.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

As stated, having the training wheels is all about stability.

I'll hook up to just about anything, towed our 5th wheel at about 12,500 12 feet tall, absolutely no issues.

The boat is probably weighing in around 14K on the trailer totally full, pulls like a dream.

If I had to use it as a daily driver it would get old in a hurry though, parking in regular lots can be a pain, mainly because I like to stay clear of all the idiots.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 280 Posts

day and nights with big loads as stated, you sure don't need this big of a truck, unless...

thinking bigger soon?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
day and nights with big loads as stated, you sure don't need this big of a truck, unless...

thinking bigger soon?
I just bought this boat in March and am not as much of a pimp as some people on here, so I think I will stay with my boat for a little while longer.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

SRW will be fine. Congrats on the new boat!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
...If I had to use it as a daily driver it would get old in a hurry though, parking in regular lots can be a pain, mainly because I like to stay clear of all the idiots.
My 2006 Dodge dually quad cab is my daily driver and it drives and turns really well. The only issues I have are the 6speed manual which is a pain in town, and the long wheelbase which can hit curbs on turns if I'm not careful. I make right turns into the left lane whenever possible.

For parking lots around malls I park way away from everyone and take two spaces, hell four if I can. I don't mine the walk, good for me. For the small lots I just try to make the best of it with one spot if I absolutely HAVE to.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
As stated, having the training wheels is all about stability.

I'll hook up to just about anything, towed our 5th wheel at about 12,500 12 feet tall, absolutely no issues.

The boat is probably weighing in around 14K on the trailer totally full, pulls like a dream.

If I had to use it as a daily driver it would get old in a hurry though, parking in regular lots can be a pain, mainly because I like to stay clear of all the idiots.
I drove a long bed crew cab dually for years as a daily driver and you honestly get used to it quick, there isn't a spot you can't get into as long as you back in. Just get your mirrors set up right and get used to using them instead of craning your neck around and it is easy money.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Besides more rubber on the ground you usually get a bigger rear end, brakes, springs. I'll never own a srw truck again. I've had duallies since 2000. They really don't cost much more. Buy a big truck now, you won't have to upgrade later.

Quick Reply: Advantages of a dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.