Notices

Towing a boat without engines

Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It def. will not sway . LOL

Just be safe wile driving and take it easy ,check the bolts on the hitch and go.

Wouldent worry.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Have you hooked it up yet? Look at where the CG is on the trailer compared to how far out the tongue is. Taking the motors out doesn't automatically add that weight at the receiver.
You can add helper springs to the truck if it's really sagging. Or try and move the boat back. I also agree with the suggestion to adjust the receiver height so the trailer is level. On a long tow, the extra load on the front tires would almost guarantee a blowout.
I have hooked it up. Just by hitching up I can tell there is more weight on the hitch. Towed it back from the shop and when I went to pick it back up I noticed one of the bearing caps to the front axle had poped out and grease had been leaking out of the axle while in storage. The hitch is not a drop down hitch - its as high as it can go. I would think buying a drop down hitch would just add to the tongue weight.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

if you are going to florida repack all 6 axels just to be safe, other than that just get in the truck and go.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered

Get the coil helper springs from the auto parts store or move the boat back. I lean towards moving the boat back. If the drives are still on, you can drop it part way at the ramp and adjust the winch post. Otherwise, use the tree method or go by a tow truck yard and give 'em $20 to winch it back.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

na, just back up and slam on the brakes and the boat will move back.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing to look at is the trailer axles. If they are leaf spring type no worries. If it is the torsion axle type the trailer needs to be level. A triple torsion axle trailer will not "share" the load like a triple leaf spring set up if it is not level. If the front of the trailer is down it will load the front axle and it could bend it or destroy the front tires.
I have towed my boat with the motors in the back of the truck but i raised the front of the trailer to make up for the weight.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow and safe is going to get you there the fastest. I put the Firestone air bag system on the Excursion and that is by far the best I have ever used. Not noticeable with no load, but always level with one and can be adjusted as you go. Make sure you have the highest rated tires, E if you can and run them full.

I lost a rear tire on my Suburban at 70 MPH one time (faulty brand new tire peeled apart) and had zero control and lucky we all didn't die. Never again