Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric Trailer Brake Controllers--Intertia or Brake Pedal Pressure >

Electric Trailer Brake Controllers--Intertia or Brake Pedal Pressure

Notices

Electric Trailer Brake Controllers--Intertia or Brake Pedal Pressure

Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts
Default Electric Trailer Brake Controllers--Intertia or Brake Pedal Pressure

OK, I know the models that are out there, so I don't need this to be a "buy this one because it works great for me" thread.

I have a debate going on here in my head, and I can't seem to land on an answer.

Basically, you have two kinds of trailer brake controllers.

Brake Pedal Pressure models
(like the Reese/Drawtite) respond to how hard you press on the brake pedal, get an electronic reading from the hydraulic pressure on your truck's braking system, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually cheaper, and can be mounted in any place/any direction.

Inertia based models
(like the Tenkosha Prodigy) "feel" the slow down of the truck based on how "hard" your truck is slowing down, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually more expensive, and must be mounted in only a certain, flat plane, facing forward direction.

Here's my big dilemma:

Inertia based models basically works like surge brakes. When the truck slows down, it tells the trailer brakes to slow down. However, my thought is that if your truck is sliding, perhaps with locked tires, perhaps with the truck sliding "sydwayz", the Inertia based models are not going to send all that accurate of a signal as so figuratively put "oh chit, I need to stop". This would be much the same problem as if you apply your surge brakes while going around a curve, and your trailer begins to jack knife. It seems to me that this isn't the best setup. No?

Brake Pedal Pressure based models will "read" how hard you are stomping on the brake pedal, and then send a corresponding signal to the trailer brakes. This is great, but what if your truck brakes rupture a line? Now your hydraulic brake pressure drops, and NOW your Brake Pedal Pressure module is going to think you let off the brakes. However, during normal operation--no matter which direction your truck is facing, even if its at 90* perpendicular to the trailer, if you are stomping the pedal to the floor, it's sending a "panic stop" signal to the trailer.

I know that BOTH types of controllers have a MANUAL switch/toggle/button/whatever where you can grab/tap it in a hurry, and apply the trailer brakes.

I just can't decide which one is best. Has anyone tried both? Can anyone shed their experience?

I'll probably have more thoughts later, but I'm off to dinner.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-09-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
OK, I know the models that are out there, so I don't need this to be a "buy this one because it works great for me" thread.

I have a debate going on here in my head, and I can't seem to land on an answer.

Basically, you have two kinds of trailer brake controllers.

Brake Pedal Pressure models
(like the Reese/Drawtite) respond to how hard you press on the brake pedal, get an electronic reading from the hydraulic pressure on your truck's braking system, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually cheaper, and can be mounted in any place/any direction.

Inertia based models
(like the Tenkosha Prodigy) "feel" the slow down of the truck based on how "hard" your truck is slowing down, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually more expensive, and must be mounted in only a certain, flat plane, facing forward direction.

Here's my big dilemma:

Inertia based models basically works like surge brakes. When the truck slows down, it tells the trailer brakes to slow down. However, my thought is that if your truck is sliding, perhaps with locked tires, perhaps with the truck sliding "sydwayz", the Inertia based models are not going to send all that accurate of a signal as so figuratively put "oh chit, I need to stop". This would be much the same problem as if you apply your surge brakes while going around a curve, and your trailer begins to jack knife. It seems to me that this isn't the best setup. No?

Brake Pedal Pressure based models will "read" how hard you are stomping on the brake pedal, and then send a corresponding signal to the trailer brakes. This is great, but what if your truck brakes rupture a line? Now your hydraulic brake pressure drops, and NOW your Brake Pedal Pressure module is going to think you let off the brakes. However, during normal operation--no matter which direction your truck is facing, even if its at 90* perpendicular to the trailer, if you are stomping the pedal to the floor, it's sending a "panic stop" signal to the trailer.

I know that BOTH types of controllers have a MANUAL switch/toggle/button/whatever where you can grab/tap it in a hurry, and apply the trailer brakes.

I just can't decide which one is best. Has anyone tried both? Can anyone shed their experience?

I'll probably have more thoughts later, but I'm off to dinner.

just dont have any more thoughtssee ya at the show.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Maxbrake controller for my EOH setup, but it also works for full electric systems. It operates off brake line pressure. It does not have a brake line going to the controller like your Grandpas HK unit. You install a tee coming out of the master cyl in 1 of the lines, and then a pressure sensor screws in there. Which in turn sends an electrical signal to the controller. I'll 'assume' this is somewhat the same concept as the reese/drawtight. So will offer my thoughts as to it's operation as I see it. I don't think the controller will care if it is suppling power to a pump or magnets as far as operational manners.

Disclaimer: I have little experince with the inertia units, so might be a little(or way) off on my thoughts. I have seen some controlles that have a 'presignal'(for lack of better words) to start the trailer braking process by means of the brake light switch.

I wouldn't worry about loosing pressure myself. As you already stated you have the manual override on either design.
If you had the inertia style and lost line pressure, how you going to slow the truck down for the controller to see the inertia? Both systems need feedback for normal operation, either from line pressure or the result of it, that would be lost with a complete tow vehicle brake loss.

A couple of the reasons I went to line pressure model for my trailer is for trailer braking at all times with no influence with regards to traction or movement from your truck. Only off the brake pedal, nothing else.

Wet pavement, you got trailer brakes. No trailer pushing the truck thru a stop light on wet pavements because the truck didn't have the needed normal traction for inertia feedback. Panic stops on wet pavement are no longer an issue.

Backing down the ramp, you got trailer brakes.

Stopped on a hill, you have trailer brakes.

Did I mention you always have trailer brakes?

When I 1st installed the EOH setup, I had the Tenkosha controller. Hauled the boat to the lake for the summer, came home, ordered the Maxbrake pressure type controller. (Not a plug for Maxbrake, but for the pressure sensing controllers) World of difference.

I know you said the pressure type controllers are cheaper, but mine was around $400. Maybe mine operates on a different level, in which case, keep that in mind when comparing models. Didn't know Reese/Drawtite has pressure controllers.

Hopefully that helps a little, or at least raises more questions for discussion.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

US1 Fountain, that is fantastic info. Thank you for expanding on my thoughts & concerns, namely traction and lack if inertia stopping the truck.

Anyone else?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my research the pedal pressure model is what I will be going with. Maxbrake specifically.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 2 on the MaxBrake

I tried the P3 and the Maxbrake is 1000 times better and there is no additional adjustment required for different driving conditions.

Plus it is recommended by BrakeRite and works perfect with my setup.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+3 on the Maxbrake
Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I just ordered the MaxBrake controller from Southwest Wheel also at www.brakecontroller.com

$349 including wiring harness for your vehicle and free 2-day shipping.

I will update on how things turn out once I get it installed.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a prodigy in my 2500 Avalanche. Works great.

Wannabe