Notices

F 250 rear pinion seal

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F 250 rear pinion seal

Anyone had trouble with these? Mine is leaking at 64,000 miles. I have been told it is fairly simple to replace the seal, have gotten quotes from $200 to $220 . The dealer said it could need a new yoke also but would not be able to tell until they get it apart.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered

They should be able to just pull the yoke off and replace the seal, depending on what rear axle you have. The reason you may need a new yoke is something damaged the seal surface on the yoke and wore a groove in it, and hence the reason its leaking. $200 seems a little high, it shouldn't be more than an hours worth of work, if that. Maybe he was quoting you with replacing the yoke and if you don't need one it will be les...
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered

you might look around at dieselstop.com tons of info there.

Fin
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
They should be able to just pull the yoke off and replace the seal, depending on what rear axle you have. The reason you may need a new yoke is something damaged the seal surface on the yoke and wore a groove in it, and hence the reason its leaking. $200 seems a little high, it shouldn't be more than an hours worth of work, if that. Maybe he was quoting you with replacing the yoke and if you don't need one it will be les...
They actually said it would be more if I needed a yoke. It sounds high to me also. I called 2 different Ford dealers and Raben just to compare price, they were all within about $20 to $30 of each other. A friend of mine was also saying it is an hour or less job, thats why I cant figure why the price is so high?

Originally Posted by FINMAN
you might look around at dieselstop.com tons of info there.

Fin
Thanks I will check it out
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

What rear end do you have? I think the Fords use the Sterling rear end?

I guess it depends if you have a crush collar on the pinion for pre-load. It's been awhile since I rebuilt my axles (my were Danas, not the same as yours I'm sure) but once I got the shims set up right and the preload set I could take my yoke on and off no problem without screwing up pre-load or gear pattern. That's about the only thing I could think of that would make it so expensive, they would have to pull the carrier out and put a new crush collar on the pinion and reset the preload.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
What rear end do you have? I think the Fords use the Sterling rear end?

I guess it depends if you have a crush collar on the pinion for pre-load. It's been awhile since I rebuilt my axles (my were Danas, not the same as yours I'm sure) but once I got the shims set up right and the preload set I could take my yoke on and off no problem without screwing up pre-load or gear pattern. That's about the only thing I could think of that would make it so expensive, they would have to pull the carrier out and put a new crush collar on the pinion and reset the preload.
I am not sure if all that has to be done, I know the seal is only $17 because I called to check. Must be more to it than what i have been told for it to be that high. Everyone has told me about an hour job?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F350 4X4, my rear pinion seal started leaking. Got the same type of estimate as you did. Had a local dealer do it. There are several different rearends they used. They have to go by the tag on the differential, to determine what model it is, and whats envolved.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo can do it yourself, its as easy as changing the oil.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered

The fords use a sterling 10.5 rear end, that uses a crush sleeve. Once a sleeve has ben tightened it should not be re-used. Unfortunately to replace a crush sleeve both axles and the dif have to be removed. When removing the dif be careful to keep all of the shims in order to reinstall later. It's not hard to do, but is time consuming.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started to leak on my 02 F350 at around 50K miles. It was right at $200.00 to repair if I remember correctly. That was a couple of years ago now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.