Notices

Wet vs. Dry Tow?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Diesel Dually

I don't think an insurance company would fault me for towing with my F350, which is why I went with the Dually. I rarely go more than about 5 miles to the ramp, but I felt better from a liability standpoint having the bigger truck. When the time is right I will move to an F450 or F550.
Do you really think you need a medium duty truck for that boat? What does it weigh on the trailer?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

I do not believe a 353 Formula weighs 9500# dry. Probably closer to the 8800# range. NADA list them between 8600 and 9100# depending on the year.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked the Formula website. It says 9500lbs and I believe those weights are dry. However, I'm not positive on this.

It does seem like allot to me, and without a scale I don't really know for sure.

I've seen too many issues with people overloading their tow rig to take a chance like that. That's why I'm thinking I need a truck that is rated at 13k to be safe.

I haven't decide on the boat yet, just trying to think through all the issues I will have. Right now, towing the Cobalt is a no brainer with my 8.1 2500 Suburban. I think I could be in trouble however if I pull the trigger on a 353.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pulled my 353 w/ a F250 SRW, F350 SRW, and a F450 (Current Tow Vehicle). I've always upgraded the mounts to Class V Reese, just for extra safety as I don't want to go the weight distribution route.

I would definitely say the F250 Needed additional support in the rear suspension, it would bounce excessively and after towing the 353 for two season, it was ready to be traded.

I would either recommend a 250 w/ air bags (or extra leaf springs) or just go w/ the 350 SRW as that truck pulled really nice and was a nice daily driver.

The 450 might be a little over kill for the 353, but it really is an amazing tow vehicle. The truck actually rides better when you tow the boat. Plus its a pretty sweet looking set up moving down the road.

Feel free to contact me if you want some more specifics.

Good Luck w/ the Purchase. The 353 is really a nice all around boat. Lots of my friends own different brands, and are always impressed when they ride in my 353.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duke252
The 450 might be a little over kill for the 353, but it really is an amazing tow vehicle. The truck actually rides better when you tow the boat. Plus its a pretty sweet looking set up moving down the road.
Agreed. I was worried about my 450 as a daily driver, but considering what this truck is capable of and how heavy-duty it really is, the ride is not too bad. Was looking for a F350 dually when I came across this one. Very glad I found it. It is MUCH more truck than a 350. Granted, the mileage suffers due to the gearing but there is nothing that truck won't tow.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
I checked the Formula website. It says 9500lbs and I believe those weights are dry. However, I'm not positive on this.

It does seem like allot to me, and without a scale I don't really know for sure.

I've seen too many issues with people overloading their tow rig to take a chance like that. That's why I'm thinking I need a truck that is rated at 13k to be safe.

I haven't decide on the boat yet, just trying to think through all the issues I will have. Right now, towing the Cobalt is a no brainer with my 8.1 2500 Suburban. I think I could be in trouble however if I pull the trigger on a 353.
I towed my 32 AT which is about 11k on the trailer full of fuel with a 2500hd Crew Cab and 8.1 with no problem. I can't even tell a difference between being full of fuel and empty and thats 1000lbs.

I would just get a 2500hd or 3500hd and try to get an aluminum trailer to help save some weight. Plenty of people tow 38 Top Guns with 2500 and 3500 trucks just fine.