Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ??? >

??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ???

Notices

??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ???

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tcuda499
.... May be way overkill but I would mic the spindles and see if there still in spec. better safe than sorry. Also, in 5K miles how many repacks where done?
zero repacks just pumped in grease after the trip from Texas to California (unloaded, empty) with no boat, then many short trips 1 mile to launch ramp so getting ready for long trip I am pulling apart for 1st time.

Originally Posted by Audiofn
IMO that is more then likely from the castle nut being overtightened when new. From the looks of the axle they never spun unless he cleaned them up with sandpaper before he shot the photos.
Jon
I sprayed with brake clean and wiped down with 1000 wet-n-dry paper to clean up a film that looked like coked-up oil and it smelled like a differential. My take is that the bearing just started to get hot hopefully i caught in time so as to not have damaged the spindles.
To me, if the bearing spun, it would have left bigger gouges on both surfaces, but I don't see that, but I may be wrong.

Should i run with these spindles, and should i check to see if there is slight interference if i fit the bearing over the spindle?

Guys, thanks for the discusion, with the info i just provided, what is the verdict? new hubs and bearings and run with the spindles, or replace the spindles.
Again, thanks for the feedback
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I dont think they spun.
Could you replace just the spindles? isn't it part of the axle?If you can get a good deal on bearings,replace them and use good quality marine grease and give it a shot. use a bearing packer,it does a much better job than packing by hand. And faster too. reinspect after your trip.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tcuda499
I agree, I dont think they spun.
Could you replace just the spindles? isn't it part of the axle?If you can get a good deal on bearings,replace them and use good quality marine grease and give it a shot. use a bearing packer,it does a much better job than packing by hand. And faster too. reinspect after your trip.
Axle is part of the torsion assy i believe.
Yes, will pack those bearing well and recheck after my trip. Trip not long, just 80 miles through some hills one-way will recheck after coming back.
Actually looking into the complete hub assy though etrailer mainly because cannont find a darn lip on the small race to get a sold bead on for my drift to pound out the race so i may just get the entire kit- price is complete $47.00 for 6 lug 5.5..still doing research.

Guys, thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NO WAY you spun them. The axles are fine no doubt about that. The new hubs are nice because they you have all new and they come pre-assembled and you just pack the bearings. Makes for quick work. When you fill with those types of axles just fill the things real slow of you can push out your back seal. Just keep an eye on that back seal when you fill the thing up. On mine with that same set up I lock tighted in my back seal.