Notices

towing alot with a 42 fountain?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcuda499
still going to be over wieght with tag traller. duallys only increase the wieght for a 5th wheel or goose neck.,not a tag.. I looked at a 2008 3500 gmc 6.6 dually and tag trailer rating 7500lbs. My 02 6.6 non dually is 7000lbs. to be legal you need a medium duty truck like gmc 6500,f650 or so.
7500lbs max on a dually hitch??? Surely that can't be right. My 06 Dodge dually is rated for 12,500 on the receiver hitch. He would be legal with an F450 with 4.88 axle which is rated for 24,000lbs.

But hey I love this F650;

http://www.f650supertruck.com/

Clcik on 'Transport Haulers' then click on 'F650 FX hauler'. It would be awesome with a 500hp/1000tq Cummins.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcuda499
still going to be over wieght with tag traller. duallys only increase the wieght for a 5th wheel or goose neck.,not a tag.. I looked at a 2008 3500 gmc 6.6 dually and tag trailer rating 7500lbs. My 02 6.6 non dually is 7000lbs. to be legal you need a medium dity truck like gmc 6500,f650 or so.
Your right he will still be over but a lot better than a lifted SRW.Don't know where you are getting the 7500 from though.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck is rated at 16,400 in the manual.. 8.1, allison trans. 2004 k3500 dually
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Registered

I tow my 47' Fountain in and around Chicago all the time. If you get used to it, I think you'll find it isn't a problem. Look at all the semis with 53' trailers making deliveries into tight spots in cities and towns. Matching the truck to the job is the most important issue.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo
Simple issue. They won't cover. The first thing an adjuster/claims investigator is going to do is open the door and look at the factory axle ratings and GVWR, GVWCR on the pillar. They don't give a crap about your mods, your aftermarket hitch, none of it. If you exceed, you're screwed. It doesn't matter what you 'normally' tow with it, or what your skills are either. They are looking for a way to get out of paying a claim, not for a way of being a nice guy and taking care of you. Also, those bigger numbers on your receiver are for weight-distributing hitches. Try counting on your fingers how many of those you see attached to performance boat trailers......
Buy and drive a truck that is LEGAL for what you are towing behind it. If you don't, and don't get in an accident, great for you. If you do get an accident, try and test the system; I wish you luck.

If your policy actualy has an exclution for "over weight"...
You need to change carriers...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM

it sounds like you have one option, "Go Big or Go Home"
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I used to have a 2004 Ford Superduty diesel, non dually. Sold it, and picked up a older square body chevy crew cab dually with a 454 gas for cheap money. All i planned to use it for was to tow the boat and thats it.

My theory on towing is big chassis, big brakes, and big suspension. My diesel Ford would kick the old duallys a$$ towing the 38 Fountain in a drag race. But going down the road at 55mph, you cant even tell the boat is behind the old chevy. Sway was a problem with my SRW truck. Big diesels, chipped out and making gobs of torque are great, but the engine isnt usually what keeps you right side up.

I think what makes the old chevy much better going down the road is obviously the dual rear wheels, but also the fact it is a 2 wheel drive truck with a very stiff rear suspension (HD leafs and alot of them!). The truck sits low, and even going over dips in the road, railroad tracks, etc, the rear end doesnt compress much and is rock solid.

I'd much rather have a slow stable tow vehicle than a fast unstable one. I drive a semi truck for a living and run 80k lbs daily. It wouldnt be any fun if i couldnt relax behind the wheel. White knuckling is makes for a long day for me. And that old 454 gasser gets the boat up and running faster than a class 8 truck fully loaded.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by birdog
If your policy actualy has an exclution for "over weight"...
You need to change carriers...
First, please use a spell checker; posts become a little easier to read. Next thing, stow your BS flag, unless its use is warranted. There's no such thing as an exclusionary clause in an insurance policy that allows anyone to tow trailer weights greater than the published manufacturer's limits. That includes trucks, trailers, receivers, and hitches. Oversize with restrictions, maybe. Beyond equipment limits in weight, no way.

If you're towing overweight, good luck if you ever get in a wreck. You had better hope if you ever do, you don't damage another person's equipment or cause bodily injury. Misery will follow.
If you cause damage to another person's property or cause bodily injury, you might just find an attorney questioning your knowledge of towing and associated equipment (or lack of it) as well. One thing is for sure. If some clown towing overweight caused me or anyone in my family bodily injury, I wouldn't hesitate to bankrupt his dumb ass.

BTW, my carrier is great, and I'm not changing. I've had the same one for properties, boats, and aircraft for the last 30 years, and as long as I'm fair and honest with them, they reciprocate.

Last edited by jafo; 07-20-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you are going to tow with a SRW, don't lift it. It changes the load capacities, and the stability just sucks.

I know guys that tow with the srw 4x4's set up stock from the factory and they tox OK, but the guys are right, if you are over the load rating, you will be in trouble if you ever need to make a claim.

Buy an extra dually. Once you start towing with one, you will never go back.

The previous posters are correct.

Big chassis, big brakes, extra tires = a realy good experience.

Those 454's in those old chevy's can be upgraded very easily also
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo
First, please use a spell checker; posts become a little easier to read. Next thing, stow your BS flag, unless its use is warranted. There's no such thing as an exclusionary clause in an insurance policy that allows anyone to tow trailer weights greater than the published manufacturer's limits. That includes trucks, trailers, receivers, and hitches. Oversize with restrictions, maybe. Beyond equipment limits in weight, no way.

If you're towing overweight, good luck if you ever get in a wreck. You had better hope if you ever do, you don't damage another person's equipment or cause bodily injury. Misery will follow.
If you cause damage to another person's property or cause bodily injury, you might just find an attorney questioning your knowledge of towing and associated equipment (or lack of it) as well. One thing is for sure. If some clown towing overweight caused me or anyone in my family bodily injury, I wouldn't hesitate to bankrupt his dumb ass.

BTW, my carrier is great, and I'm not changing. I've had the same one for properties, boats, and aircraft for the last 30 years, and as long as I'm fair and honest with them, they reciprocate.
There is no clause that allows you to get **** faced drunk and ram into a mini van either..but...insurance still pays...
unless there is an Exclusion...They have to pay
I do agree about being open to a law suit but, Thats not what you said in the post I replied to...

Oh....screw spell chck.....

And for the record...Towing a 42 with a jacked up f-350 is nutz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.