Notices

Drive guard on a trailer

Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive guard on a trailer

What are the draw backs if any for having a drive guard on a V bottom trailer for a 39' boat ?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the space you store in is tight lengthwise, the drive guard could potentially put you over the length of space available. If you are stored/parked in a tight space, you may not be able to swing the gate open to do service or whatever. Other than that, I am really happy that I went with the drive guard.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

Watch out for gate swing in tight places. Depending on the terrain that you park the trailer on, you could rub the bottom of the trailer guards on uneven terrain. That happens to me when I put the boat on the side of my house.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

I am having manning marine build me a new one just like this, glad to hear it is a good option.
Attached Thumbnails Drive guard on a trailer-trailer.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by laszlo01
I am having manning marine build me a new one just like this, glad to hear it is a good option.
That's my trailer right after Ron completed it. 6 years with zero problems. I would suggest you get electric over hydraulic not surge. Might be good to tell him your just as fussy as the guy w/ the 34 Saber also. I would put my trailer up against anybody's, no problem. Manning has come a long way since he built his first aluminum trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Drive guard on a trailer-34.jpg   Drive guard on a trailer-002.jpg   Drive guard on a trailer-14.jpg  

Last edited by BGIII; 08-27-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Hey, glad to meet you, he is doing electric over hydraulic and all the bells and whistles, I used yours as an example of what i wanted, also added backup lights and electric longue jack, they are starting to build mine monday. Will tell him i met you as well. Thanks Laszlo

How do you like the drive guard ? any suggestions to modify or change on the trailer ?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

I sat down w/ Ron and we wrote out a list of everything I wanted and what my expectations were. He did everything I asked. Only issue I had was that the boat didn't fit the bunks very well when the trailer was first completed, but Ron was excellent in correcting that situation.

I would recommend having him drill a drain hole on the inside bottom of the steel post that has the adjustable bow stop before he welds everything in place and paints it. My post would fill with water which could cause problems if you cold store up here in the great white north and it happens to freeze full of water. I'll attach a very poorly edited picture so you know what I'm talking about. Look for the black arrow.

I am a very happy customer, 6 years with no problems and the trailer looks like the day I picked it up. I would never buy a steel trailer again and I would not hesitate to have Manning Marine build me another trailer in the future.

Anything else that you want to discuss, shoot me a PM w/ your phone number and I'll give you a ring.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Drive guard on a trailer-bow-stop.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Laszlo, You may want to have Ron set-up your bow stop "below" your bow eye. Mine bow eye presently is about in the middle of the bow stop and when my boat "floats" off the trailer the bow drops and rubs the first chine below the rubrail which is where my paint starts on my boat. I've had some damage to the painted area so I'm going to lower the stop between the 2nd and 3rd chine. I wish I would of had him do a power tongue jack on mine, but he talked me out of it. Let me know how yours works out, I've got to have him add one. By the way, I have a 33' AT, so if you have the paint starting there, you'll want to look into that. Steve
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Laszlo, You may want to have Ron set-up your bow stop "below" your bow eye. Mine bow eye presently is about in the middle of the bow stop and when my boat "floats" off the trailer the bow drops and rubs the first chine below the rubrail which is where my paint starts on my boat. I've had some damage to the painted area so I'm going to lower the stop between the 2nd and 3rd chine. I wish I would of had him do a power tongue jack on mine, but he talked me out of it. Let me know how yours works out, I've got to have him add one. By the way, I have a 33' AT, so if you have the paint starting there, you'll want to look into that. Steve
Sounds good, i will pass along the info to them. I am doing the power tongue jack for sure, I added one on my existing trailer and it is much better at the end of a long day to just hit the switch and off you go, I bought a used trailer to pick up the boat when i bought it since i had to move fast when i got the boat and was waiting until i sold it so i could order my new one. Manning did my trailer for my previous boat and loved the way the trailer was built so i had them do my new one as well, they started mine today so will have some pics soon to post as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

You may want to make the drive guard removable.

Reason, going up a ramp into a facility that is at loading dock height would be nearly impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.