Notices

diesel or gas

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default diesel or gas

Upgrading boats this winter/spring to a 28-32 ft, but upgrading trucks first, at the moment im looking at f250 crew cabs and excursion's, at first i was looking at nothing but diesels but there seem to be real good deals on gas v8's and 10's, any pros and cons that i should be aware of? Would be my first diesel if that is the route i go.... live only 3 miles from the closest boat ramp, all boat ramps around here are pretty steep, would be making a couple out of town long distance trips a summer.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 818 Likes on 379 Posts

Once you go diesel.......

They are more expensive up front, but the resale is there on the backside. Some say they are more expensive to maintain, but I personally feel like it is a trade off because in theory they are more reliable.

Knock on wood - My F350 has basically been bullet proof except for a wire backing out of the IPR harness (strange incident to say the least).

I've put 35k or so on it and it is now at 106k. Fill it with Fuel, oil changes at about 7k, throw a new fuel filter at it every 20k or so and that is it. It is my daily driver - I love it because I don't care at all about racking up mileage on it. Just fire up and go.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the Ford trucks, but the older Chevy's with the big block (496) are great. They will pull everything (except past a gas station is the joke), and are as reliable as a diesel. Upkeep costs are much lower too (just call and get pricing for a gas filter or something simple, etc to get a feel for gas v diesel).

If you aren't driving a great distance (or daily driving), or pulling 20K a gasser may be a much better choice. If money's no object, buy a diesel.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 20outlaw
Upgrading boats this winter/spring to a 28-32 ft, but upgrading trucks first, at the moment im looking at f250 crew cabs and excursion's, at first i was looking at nothing but diesels but there seem to be real good deals on gas v8's and 10's, any pros and cons that i should be aware of? Would be my first diesel if that is the route i go.... live only 3 miles from the closest boat ramp, all boat ramps around here are pretty steep, would be making a couple out of town long distance trips a summer.
I've got a 2000 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 diesel for sale. Let me know if interested. Protected with only AMSOIL synthetics since 5000 miles.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

just bought a 99 f250 with the very hard to find 7.3 turbo diesel and have a 29' powerquest. The gas won't pull half the weight the diesel will pull!! go diesel for power and torque!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you go diesel.......
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 20outlaw
Pro gas-gas is cheap compared to diesel.

Con gas-most of them have less torque than horsepower which means poor towing performance and much more strain on the powertrain. Poor fuel mileage towing compared to diesels.

If you buy gas try to find the motor with the most torque which would probly be the Ford V10. To my knowledge Dodge does not offer the V10 Viper in its Heavy Duty trucks. I don't know about GM either. Steep ramps demand 4x4.

If I were you I would call 07Dominator. That's an awesome vehicle he has and the 7.3 is getting harder and harder to find.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Registered

my f350 crew longbed 4x4 with v10 pulls just as well as my chevy crew 4x4 longbed dmax but is much more stable on the brakes and turns.fuel use is the same.we pull alot of boats aswell.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Registered

If you are going to buy a V-10 go 05 or newer as they are the 3 valve motor.I have an 05 F-350 and it pulls great.Had a 7.3 before,it did a good job too.But for a daily driver I will take my V-10 hands down.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the replies, great info.... 07dominator is your truck listed for sale somewhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.