Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Time to rehab the Roadrunner Trailer >

Time to rehab the Roadrunner Trailer

Notices

Time to rehab the Roadrunner Trailer

Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to rehab the Roadrunner Trailer

In the off season I plan on getting some work done on my trailer. It's a 2005 Roadrunner trailer, tandem axle. I've had some trouble getting my Rage on it square without having a strake ride up on the bunk. Due to that it snapped the edge off the 2x4 so it's time to replace them. Here are my questions:

I'm considering switching to 2x6's for a little more support - obviously the bunk would have to be lined up so it wouldn't interfere with loading and the strakes. Any other concerns about the 2x6's?

Bunk Carpet - general consensus is to get it from Lowes or Home Depot. Some folks are talking about gluing the carpet to the 2x4's. Any recommendations to glue or not to glue?

Bunk Wood - I'm thinking Cypress. Lots of opinions out there and concern with using a harder wood with my boat?

Fender cushion boards - marine plywood covered in that same bunk carpeting?

Planning on SS hardware and those really sexy staples that are better than SS. Any thing else I should be considering?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I guess I'll updat my own thread. I spoke to a local wood supplier today and he told me that post 1920's cypress is not resistant to water. He told me the reason but I don't think I can restate it accurately. He told me it'd be a bit of a waste of money. He suggested treated yellow pine and he didn't think there would be a problem with SS hardware being corroded by the wood treatment.

Still interested in your thoughts. Y'all have done this more than I have.