Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com >

Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com

Notices

Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com

Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
A few points I will agree with, and only cause I own both and drive them regulary. The exhaust brake on the Ford is not nearly as good as the GM's...and actually the new Dodge I feel is even better.. after doing some research I feel after re-reading the article and looking at the results. Ford's tune on the 6.7 needs work on fuel calibrations for altitude or the Duramax turbo is a better match to the engine at altitude. Both trucks are evenly matched down at 5200 ft. in Denver where they were dyno'd.
Note that as the altitude increased, the gap in speed between the GM and Ford also increased. Competition is great and will make all these trucks get better, that helps us all in the long run.
This has been the reaction from most the Ford fanboy camp. Somehow doing it in the mountains is "rigging" it for GM. Here's why I feel that's nonsense:
-Both are turbos and therefore less impacted by atmospheric pressure.
-The GM trucks were better in the first tests at sea level.
-Where else but "the mountains" will you see the worst conditions this comparison emulates......making it quite relevant.

Best yet, Ford themselves actually pulled that trick in running a comparo for the MKS w/ ecoboost to a 550i and other non turbo competition in the mountains (and still didn't win).

The peak numbers, that Ford is tweaked for and advertising mean nothing. The area under the power curve is what matters. As explained by a GM engineer to me who works on Dmax programs (in Pontiac - not Japan or Isuzu for the misinformed out there) our total power curve blows them away. GM obviously knew this, hence the reason for the challenge. Ford knows this too, which is why the declined to participate in the challenge.

So, you out tow, get better mileage, ride better, get way better exhaust brakes and look like a purposeful truck in a proven and dependable combination. I'm guessing it's back to the drawing board already for the 6.7 guys!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
Thanks for clarifying what was clearly a pathetic attempt at trolling, or else just a painfully misinformed tea party nut job. I'd love to see the source that this motor has those parts from Japan.....

GM employees develop and work on all D-max programs.
No problem.....I love GM products and will always defend them against this type of attack.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Hmm

Last edited by golfmaxgolf; 11-16-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Didn't want a pizz'n match
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 957 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by ttuton
Now if Gm could make their own engine or trans they may have something. Gm heads, cranks, rods all come from Japan. Not to mention Isuzu, who designed the engine is a 40% owner in the duramax plant. So Obama and Japan have their part in you new chevy. Congrats!!!
Is that worse than a Dodge made in Mexico?

All Dodge 2500/3500's are made in Santillo, Mexico......
Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 957 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
But those GD injectors. I much prefer the older dmax compared to the new ones.....

But after the LLY, things go the "other" way. There really isn't a perfect 3/4 ton pickup without some pretty big caveats.

I've kept my truck bone stock except for one size bigger tires. Can't imagine all the issues I'd have with tuners and I came real close to buying one.

2004 - 152K miles. for the price of the LB7 injectors and labor you could buy a real decent used car! I like the truck but it's frustrating to keep dealing with this.
My 03 was covered under the "extended" powertrain warranty, GM extended the warranty on injectors to 200K miles or 7 years. Original injectors were changed at 145K miles, 163K now with no issues.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_Bigdog
The above is not accurate.....

DMAX of Moraine, Ohio is a manufacturer of Diesel engines for trucks.Originally A joint venture between General Motors and Isuzu Motors, the formation of DMAX was announced in December 1998. General Motors acquired a majority stake of the venture in 2003, including all engine designs. The company's Duramax V8 engine has been extremely successful for GM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMAX_%28engines%29

The Duramax is a great motor!
Check out the current issue of Diesel Power for yourself as they tour the Duramax plant. This info is straight out of their magazine. December 2010 pg. 60-69. I don't just throw random B.S. out for fun.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Check out the current issue of Diesel Power for yourself as they tour the Duramax plant. This info is straight out of their magazine. December 2010 pg. 60-69. I don't just throw random B.S. out for fun.
They said Isuzu designed the engine.......?

What exactly did they say, who is this mystery supplier in Japan of the internals? Hell, give me the part numbers and I'll check for myself exactly where they come from tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now if Gm could make their own engine or trans they may have something. Gm heads, cranks, rods all come from Japan. Not to mention Isuzu, who designed the engine is a 40% owner in the duramax plant. So Obama and Japan have their part in you new chevy. Congrats!!!
Allison Transmission is an American company;

Allison began in 1909 when James A. Allison, along with three business partners, helped found and build the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. In 1911, Allison’s new track held the first Indianapolis 500 mile race. In addition to funding several race teams, Jim Allison established his own racing team in 1915 and quickly gained a reputation for his work on race cars and automotive technology in general.[2]

When World War I began, Allison suspended racing and his company began machining parts, tools and masters for the Liberty airplane engine — the main power plant used in the U.S. war effort. After the war, Allison entered a car in the 1919 Indy 500 and won. It was the last race Allison’s team ever entered. Instead, he turned his company’s attention to aviation engineering. The company’s expertise in aviation was the major factor in General Motors decision to buy the company following Jim Allison’s death in 1928.[3][4][5]

Shortly after the sale to General Motors in 1929, Allison engineers began work on a 12-cylinder engine to replace the aging Liberty engines. The result was the V1710 12-cylinder aircraft engine and it made the company, now known as the Allison Engine Company, a major force in aviation.[6]

Toward the end of World War II, General Motors formed Allison Transmission to put the engineers’ expertise to work in a new field — power transmissions for tracked military vehicles. The new division developed a transmission combining range change, steering and braking.[7][8]

After World War II, Allison Transmission turned its attention to powering the civilian transportation market. Allison designed, developed and manufactured the first-ever automatic transmissions for heavy-duty vehicles like delivery trucks, city buses and even locomotives. The days of laborious manual shifting were over and a new, modern era of commercial transportation was ushered in.[8][9]
Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I know Allision is an American Company, I was unaware that GM had anything to do with Allison other than using them as a supplier for transmissions.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
They said Isuzu designed the engine.......?

What exactly did they say, who is this mystery supplier in Japan of the internals? Hell, give me the part numbers and I'll check for myself exactly where they come from tomorrow.
Mine says "made in Japan" all over it... And a LOT of the AC/Delco Parts that I have bought says "made in China, Mexico, etc"... We don't seem to make much of anything here anymore except degenerate kids and degenerate politicians.

But I don't care. I think the japs make good stuff. It's not a good thing for our country I suppose but they still make good stuff. Just consider a Kubota compared to????? Night and day.

However, the Duramax is an Isuzu Engine. GM owns Allison for a while now.

I used to have a 1978 bright yellow Chevy "Luv" mini truck with an Isuzu Engine in it. It gave me fewer problems than my 2004.

Truth is: I was a fool for buying a 1st generation product with a price point that high. I tried not to but there were NO used Chevy Diesels when I purchased. I took a chance and it has not been the best decision I ever made. It's still a good truck but it will take a LOT of selling for any of the big 3 to have me get off that kinda dough again.

If you have such close ties to GM, would you be willing to find out if the injectors have in fact, been upgraded or modified?

And is there a reason why they can't or won't provide "new" injectors instead of "re-mans"? Money is usually the driver of such decisions but damn....

The GM Book pays/bills out something like 18+ hours to change 8 fuel injectors @ 120 per hour NOT INCLUDING THE PRICE OF THE INJECTORS ($235 each after core return).

Flippin' crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.