Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
35-40' Performance boat trailering experience? >

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Notices

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
c deezy had (one) good point. Most ramps SUCK to launch anything bigger then 25 feet. Ramps are short and steep. can't get the right angle with a 40 footer on most ramps. you will need to experiment on your local ramps or watch others with big boats to see how it works for them. If you go away from home, plan ahead! ask people on this site that ive in the area for a good ramp to use. And MAKE SURE they own a large boat.
That's a really good point, you don't want to grind the middle of your trailer because it's too steep.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 28 foot Powerquest ridding on a tandem axle Eagle trailer to a 38 Powerquest ridding on a triple axle Vanguard trailer and I can get into more ramps with the 38 than I could with the 28.
The trailer on the 38 sits higher and although it is longer I have yet to get hung up where I used to with the 28.
As far as towing with the longer rig it does make it a little harder for on the road fuel fill ups but with a little planing and wise choices it isn't that bad.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Anything a SRW can do a DRW can do better--when it comes to towing.

It's about wheelbase as well. If you have a short wheelbase SRW, it's not going to be as stable of a towing platform as a CC/LB.

One of the best things you can do to add towing stability (NOT CAPACITY), is wider than factory wheels--like 8-9-10 inches (proper weight capacity), and a bigger tire footprint, (again, proper weight capacity). And you can add rear-helper airbags. They help the springs carry the weight by adding another distribution point too the frame. I have run them on all of my towing trucks; INCLUDING my dually. They also improve ride-quality and handling when NOT towing.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pull my 38 with a Ford F450 dually diesel, the truck never wanders or begs for driver input. I also have rear airbags and I cannot be happier with the stability of the set up at speeds.
Transports or crosswinds play zero factor while towing on the highway.
Another thing to keep in mind as it has been mentioned before, if you are towing beyond the manufacturers rating and are involved in an accident you may be left out in the cold...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
I pull my 38 with a Ford F450 dually diesel, the truck never wanders or begs for driver input. I also have rear airbags and I cannot be happier with the stability of the set up at speeds.
Transports or crosswinds play zero factor while towing on the highway.
Another thing to keep in mind as it has been mentioned before, if you are towing beyond the manufacturers rating and are involved in an accident you may be left out in the cold...
+1.... I towed my Formula357 with a GMC 2500HD/Dmax for 2 years. I thought it was fine till I bought a dually this spring. There is no comparison when it comes to handling. If you plan on alot of towing, I would consider a dually.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Anything a SRW can do a DRW can do better--when it comes to towing.

It's about wheelbase as well. If you have a short wheelbase SRW, it's not going to be as stable of a towing platform as a CC/LB.

One of the best things you can do to add towing stability (NOT CAPACITY), is wider than factory wheels--like 8-9-10 inches (proper weight capacity), and a bigger tire footprint, (again, proper weight capacity). And you can add rear-helper airbags. They help the springs carry the weight by adding another distribution point too the frame. I have run them on all of my towing trucks; INCLUDING my dually. They also improve ride-quality and handling when NOT towing.
+1. Nothing beats a dually for towing.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not nocking a dually in any way . If you can afford to have just for that , go for it. it is better.

I did pull a 45 sonic with triple 502's behind an Ford excursion in 6 inches of snow From NJ. to Washington DC. (before the trans went)! NOT reccomended , but doooable!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
I am not nocking a dually in any way . If you can afford to have just for that , go for it. it is better.

I did pull a 45 sonic with triple 502's behind an Ford excursion in 6 inches of snow From NJ. to Washington DC. (before the trans went)! NOT reccomended , but doooable!
I remember that!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

bigger is better