Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
35-40' Performance boat trailering experience? >

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Notices

35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35-40' Performance boat trailering experience?

Hello-thinking about consolidating from a 26' FB Cruiser and a 25' Checkmate to a 35-40' Performance boat of some sort. Just a future plan. How is trailering one of these longer boats. Is a dually a requirement? Currently have a 1999 F250 Powerstroke 4wd, that pulls the current boats great. TIA
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck you have will work fine. You might want to add air bags to the truck, but probably not necessary.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 830 Likes on 387 Posts

Trailering it is nothing - you will be used to it so fast you will be amazed. Just lock, load and go. I would be hesitant to go through drive thru's for a while though

As for weight - I would decide on whether you are comforable with a SRW truck once you decide on the boat. A 35-40 foot boat could be somewhere between 9klbs dry and about 15k dry depending on the boat make.

I personally would not be comfortable towing my Cafe without a dually. If I am full of fuel and on the trailer I am most likely over 14k and I don't feel comfortable with that level of exposure on anything less than a DRW.

From a legal standpoint - make sure you are within the capacity of your truck is going to be most people's recommendation.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

You will be fine with that truck. Make sure to maintain the trailer accordingly and you shouldn't have any problems. With a tri axle trailer I would carry two spares if your going long distances. Mine is 39' loa and is a breeze to tow. I also have no problems loading and unloading alone.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Get a good electric over hydraulic brake system on the trailer. If you have a 250, I'd put overload springs or air bags in for sure. If you trailer in the hills, you'll be wishing for more truck, but if you plan on taking your time you'll be fine. Dually would be nice. I pull my 35 Cig with a 4500 Kodiak, and that's prob a little overkill, but I don't like to worry much either. A late model 3500 would do nicely.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 648 Likes on 305 Posts

Moved up from a 29 outlaw to a 38 Gun. Use a 3500 Srw crew cab chevy. Put bags on back and the trailer has Elec over Hyd.
No problem towing it. Just turn a little wider!!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your build specs on the truck. Ford offers a heavy duty option on the suspension. If it IS hd, your good. My last 2 boats were big and heavy. 402 Formula and a 39 express cat, (12' wide). Single wheel handled both with ease. I say EASE! Trailer MUST have good brakes and tires. Also, you may need to adjust axels forward or back on trailer to get the right amount of tongue weight. My boat and trailer weighed 21,000 lbs. I could spin the tires on dry pavement. I actually had to move the axles back aout a foot to get more weight on the hitch. towed them every week an hour and a half to the shore and then back. Pulled it from detroit michigan to NJ. with the cruise set at 85 all the way. It is no poblem if everything is adjusted right. BUT make sure you have good quaility , name brade, heavy duty tires on the truck all the way around! If you blow one, you may be sorry. Joe

PS/ pulled with 02 crew cab diesel 3.73 gears manual trans
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends what kind of area you will be towing it around.

For the most part, it is a pain in the ass. You have to be sure to plan your route, making right hand turns is not easy with a 40 foot trailer. Manuevering around tight ramps is a pain, and most of the time the general public don't give you the room you need.

It can be done but it can also add a lot of additional aggravation. Pulled a 38 around for 2.5 years, don't miss it one bit.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

c deezy had (one) good point. Most ramps SUCK to launch anything bigger then 25 feet. Ramps are short and steep. can't get the right angle with a 40 footer on most ramps. you will need to experiment on your local ramps or watch others with big boats to see how it works for them. If you go away from home, plan ahead! ask people on this site that ive in the area for a good ramp to use. And MAKE SURE they own a large boat.

The only thing you need to check is how you register it in your state. Some are combined GVW for truck and trailer weight, some just go by the trucks GVW. If its just truck GVW that will linit you alot. If you crash and you rGVW doesen't add up right, your insurance will be no good. Also you can get stopped and check in police spot checks and get an over weight ticket which could cost thousands!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Hauled a 38 every weekend for 5 years........a buddy who worked at a RV dealer (and towed them regularly) about chit as I whipped around in a gas station one day. I was comfortable with it but he just wasn't used to something that long. Like anything else you get used to it with practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.