Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No >

2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No

Notices

2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No

Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
The issues I felt was not from a spongy rear suspension but from sway on the road over certain speeds. It feels like there's not enough rubber on the road.

I realize the burban has a shorter wheelbase than a fullsize SRW 3500 Chevy and it probably tows better with a full size bed but the suspension of a 2500 burban and a 2500 silverado is essentially the same.

I've been looking around for the right deal on a truck and would rather not have a dually so that's why I'm paying attention to this thread. But, I want to make the right decision and not regret it later if I find the deal I'm looking for wanting to stroke the check.
A dually's main purpose is for payload capacity. Your boat or the OP does not need a dually and will not benifit in any way compared to a properly set up SRW.

Sway can be affected by improperly inflated tires, improper hitch height/style, trailer set up, etc.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-16-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

A dually also does not help with stability since the trailer pivits on the hitch ball. The trailer in turn controls the stability. Same with a gooseneck.

Again, a dually is for PAYLOAD. None of these boats in question have enough tongue weight tag or gooseneck to even come close to maxing out a SRW payload
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Another misconception is that a dually has a lot more rubber on the road since it has 6 tires.

But, dually tires are so narrow that a SRW truck has about the same amount of rubber on the road. Plus a SRW has room to upgrade tires where a dually does not since the tires will rub together, and do not try to say wheel spacers are safe!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Here we go again with all the "You need a Peter Built to tow it" F350 will do fine.
...BILT

Not sure on 1 ton trucks, but can you upgrade your GVW ratings by buying higher ply tires?

Class 8-yes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an F350 Crew, long bed, 4x4, gasser, DRW. Only because that's the deal I found. I would have preferred a SRW at time of purchase. I have towed my 34' with both DRW and SRW. I agree with what Offsorex said BUT I'm about 2K lighter. Don't really care to have a third vehicle that doesn't get used very much, but since it is a spare vehicle, why not make it a dually? (In my case anyway)

Also have electric trailer brakes that stop the truck....not the other way around.

Last edited by Baja_342; 11-16-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_342
Also have electric trailer brakes that stop the truck....not the other way around.
Have the braking power on the trailer if I got to lock 'em up.

Last edited by Downtown42; 11-16-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the amount of rubber on the road. A dually has about 13" of rubber on the road in the rear, where as a single has about 8". I would call that a noticable difference. Regarding stabillity. 4 tires have a combined latteral stiffness that is higher than 2 tires. That will create better control. I'm no expert, but that makes sense to me.

I guess each has their preference.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Regarding the amount of rubber on the road. A dually has about 13" of rubber on the road in the rear, where as a single has about 8". I would call that a noticable difference. Regarding stabillity. 4 tires have a combined latteral stiffness that is higher than 2 tires. That will create better control. I'm no expert, but that makes sense to me.

I guess each has their preference.
I was combining the front and rear total.

You will only notice latteral stiffness while hauling PAYLOAD like a slide in camper, not while a trailer is pivoting on the ball.

I am towing today and watching my 50' gooseneck (weighing about 19,000lbs trailer and 25,000lbs GVW) pivot side to side while my SRW truck stays level and happy.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have accumulated many miles towing various pieces of equipment and sizes of boats, but this was my first year with a dually and I am glad I went dually.
No side sway, rolling over and being pushed on the highway.
No white nuckle driving.
Would I buy a dually again, absolutely!!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Another misconception is that a dually has a lot more rubber on the road since it has 6 tires.

But, dually tires are so narrow that a SRW truck has about the same amount of rubber on the road. Plus a SRW has room to upgrade tires where a dually does not since the tires will rub together, and do not try to say wheel spacers are safe!
so now wheel spacers are no good either

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.