Notices

Made in USA, Interesting

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Interesting theory on the wages. But how much have Ford's cars made in Mexico been reduced in price? Wages are about 10% of the car's cost. Starting wages at the plants now are not close to what they were. Have you seen dramatic sticker price reductions?

If wages were cut across the board 10%, that's how much companies would save on their operating costs, pretty much period. As for investing, billions are being invested overseas in expanding markets. That's a good thing, as it keeps profits and growth rolling. But it indirectly impacts us all here, but still an important part of the big picture.

There's so many arguments about labor and jobs now. They hate unions, get rid of them, jobs lost, wages down. When consumers have less to spend, demand goes down, jobs go down. Markets are impacted by many things. Do I need to buy a Mexican made Ford Fusion over a Kentucky-made Camry? Some Camry's are now going to be exported. But the big picture is this. Do we help create potential markets by building plants in Mexico? Probably yes, in the long run. I'd rather Mexico be strong not poor. Engineers and designers from Mexico have been training in Michigan. Wonder why?

A lot of the arguments made about the Buy American product push are being made by many people that have fought labor tooth and nail, and cheered when jobs went overseas. Not all certainly, but many. The subject is very complicated, and involves much more than simple corporate domain. Most, if not all of the foreign companies manufacturing in the US are US corporations.
Many good points. And you have to look at Toyota and others in the states, they do not treat their workers like the UAW does. Now a few year back they actually made more but that was due to some last min bonuses paid. But there as been horror stories as far benefits and people being let go due to illness. As much as I hate anything leaving the country I would rather see a strong mexico/canada then a strong japan or china.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Buy American is a loaded statement. I think it applies more to consumer goods at the Walmart level. You also have to bring in other factors such as price. If you are standing at home depot looking at something generic you have to draw a line somewhere. If you are going to buy a box of Chinese nails for $2.99 or American nails for $4.49 - sorry but I have to go with Chinese. If its a few cents more, I would go with American. Anybody that tells you we cant compete with China (in most general manufacturing) is full of $hit. We can make good products just as cost effectively as any other country.
Gee I'd draw a line in a diiferent way.., I'd buy the American made nails and support my fellow American. What? Do the Raylars in your Baja take that much more gas that you can't afford to pay a couple bucks more and support a a American Corporation? This type thinking is what will someday having us totally owned by the Chinese.
If I have to purchase something that is made overseas it's bought at the Mom and Pop hardware store even though it'd be cheaper at Walmart. My wife shops at our local grocer again owned by a local Buisness person that I'm sure is costing me more money, yet pay's divdidends in many way's that initial costs does not reflect.

$10-$12 a hour? Hell you can get that at the un-employment office. In labor you get what you pay for. Want loyalty? A engaged employee? Some of the most successful Companies in the Country have both and pay a fair middle class wage with very little turnover and all the while making excellent profits for their shareholders. Skilled worker or not, in the end the middleclass is what drives the economy, not someone living at the poverty level soaking up goverment assistance,

I've owned G.M' products my entire life. Only lemon I ever had from them was a 96 Grand Am. My old neighbor owned a Toyota Corolla that burned as much oil as gas among other issues. Said to be normal by the Toyota Dealership..

Old school raised I guess, money stays in America and local whenever possible. I prefer the English language..
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The interesting thing is this. Toyota treats their workers very well here. In fact, they treat their workers better than many Americans think auto workers should be treated. We've gone through 3 years of some pretty rabid discussion of the Big Three, and there was little love for workers then. I fail to see how a Buy American argument can be made now based on how a company treats workers, or their health care benefits or hiring practices.

It's yet another case where ideology gets in the way of the thought process. I suspect many would be surprised at what auto makers make nowadays, after the fallout. That said, I'd rather work for Toyota in kentucky than be a union employee for the Big Three.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZP'd
Gee I'd draw a line in a diiferent way.., I'd buy the American made nails and support my fellow American. What? Do the Raylars in your Baja take that much more gas that you can't afford to pay a couple bucks more and support a a American Corporation? This type thinking is what will someday having us totally owned by the Chinese.
If I have to purchase something that is made overseas it's bought at the Mom and Pop hardware store even though it'd be cheaper at Walmart. My wife shops at our local grocer again owned by a local Buisness person that I'm sure is costing me more money, yet pay's divdidends in many way's that initial costs does not reflect.

$10-$12 a hour? Hell you can get that at the un-employment office. In labor you get what you pay for. Want loyalty? A engaged employee? Some of the most successful Companies in the Country have both and pay a fair middle class wage with very little turnover and all the while making excellent profits for their shareholders. Skilled worker or not, in the end the middleclass is what drives the economy, not someone living at the poverty level soaking up goverment assistance,

I've owned G.M' products my entire life. Only lemon I ever had from them was a 96 Grand Am. My old neighbor owned a Toyota Corolla that burned as much oil as gas among other issues. Said to be normal by the Toyota Dealership..

Old school raised I guess, money stays in America and local whenever possible. I prefer the English language..
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

The interesting thing is this. Toyota treats their workers very well here. In fact, they treat their workers better than many Americans think auto workers should be treated. We've gone through 3 years of some pretty rabid discussion of the Big Three, and there was little love for workers then. I fail to see how a Buy American argument can be made now based on how a company treats workers, or their health care benefits or hiring practices.

It's yet another case where ideology gets in the way of the thought process. I suspect many would be surprised at what auto makers make nowadays, after the fallout. That said, I'd rather work for Toyota in kentucky than be a union employee for the Big Three.
From your tone I am guessing you work for Yota, so I can now understand your thought process. And its great you have a job and you like it. But back to BIG picture, having American jobs making american products is best for our country. You can slice it a million ways and we can get off in side arguements, but that is the bottom line. Is competition and foreign products good, yes but only when fair trade exsist in which it doesnt.
Yes there can be an arguement for how a company treats employees and how much they make. I will gladly pay a couple bucks more for an american made product, guess what 9 out of ten times that product is better. Paying your workers more and treating them well means more productivity and better products. Slice it how you want, but in the 80's my wash machine lasted for 30 years, and my grand father has hunting coats from 50 years ago that look new. But now I have been through 2 washers in three years and going on my third soon, and my hunting jacket needs to be replaced about every 2-4 years.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-15-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hear ya, lots of junk made today. You need a computer tech to fix a stove

No I don't work for any car company. And I fully understand the Buy American movement, and support it quite a bit. There are many great US made products, and some crap like everywhere else. Originally, many US companies moved some operations overseas to make more money. Nowadays, they do it to take advantage of growing new markets. But in many ways, they've chosen to leave the US market to make a buck.

I support a company like Costco over Wal-Mart, like to use my local hardware store, and try to support good effort and quality whenever. Sometimes, companies need a nudge. Ford didn't do what they did for US manufacturing this year and last because they're nice. They saw the backlash at GM, and tried some PR. It worked for awhile, and appears to be a stabilizing factor.

It truly is the consumer choice, always has been. But the average consumer feels no more loyalty to buying American to support US workers than the companies have to the US consumer or worker at large. That's the real problem. I'd gladly pay an extra $50 for a phone or iPod if it was made and assembled here. But then again, same analogy to Ford. Apple builds them overseas, but makes a lot of money for shareholders.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

I hear ya, lots of junk made today. You need a computer tech to fix a stove

No I don't work for any car company. And I fully understand the Buy American movement, and support it quite a bit. There are many great US made products, and some crap like everywhere else. Originally, many US companies moved some operations overseas to make more money. Nowadays, they do it to take advantage of growing new markets. But in many ways, they've chosen to leave the US market to make a buck.

I support a company like Costco over Wal-Mart, like to use my local hardware store, and try to support good effort and quality whenever. Sometimes, companies need a nudge. Ford didn't do what they did for US manufacturing this year and last because they're nice. They saw the backlash at GM, and tried some PR. It worked for awhile, and appears to be a stabilizing factor.

It truly is the consumer choice, always has been. But the average consumer feels no more loyalty to buying American to support US workers than the companies have to the US consumer or worker at large. That's the real problem. I'd gladly pay an extra $50 for a phone or iPod if it was made and assembled here. But then again, same analogy to Ford. Apple builds them overseas, but makes a lot of money for shareholders.
Your are right on somethings. Its going to take our government and corporations to work together to bring some jobs back. But the american people have to work with everything as well. People have to start with the mentality that their job might be next and yeah I might spend 5 bucks more on this product but it could mean 20 bucks more in my pocket in the long run.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is we need more people who think like Zp'd and soldier4402, ESPECIALLY IN GOVERNMENT.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record I have a 1995 f-350 dually with 189k miles on it, I would tow my 12,000lbs. rig anywhere right now with it. LOVE IT. How many 17 year old Toyota owners can say that. Is there any?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Your are right on somethings. Its going to take our government and corporations to work together to bring some jobs back. But the american people have to work with everything as well. People have to start with the mentality that their job might be next and yeah I might spend 5 bucks more on this product but it could mean 20 bucks more in my pocket in the long run.
Yes!

Absolutely right on the button. I want to buy stuff made here as well. If a company starts to outsource just because, and there is a viable or better product made here, I'll buy that instead. But I don.t care who the employer is, as long as they are an employer here.

That's the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.