Notices

15" to 16" wheel/tire swap

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15" to 16" wheel/tire swap

I have a 1996 lifetime trailer for a 42' fountain which has only 15" tires/wheels. Can I swap out to 16" tires/wheels without any mods??
Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruepappy
I have a 1996 lifetime trailer for a 42' fountain which has only 15" tires/wheels. Can I swap out to 16" tires/wheels without any mods??
More info is needed. Are you talking about upsizing your diameter and width? If so, you will simply have to measure your fenders ect. The added dia. will not be a problem, the fewer rpms pr. mile will actually put less load on your bearings + bigger diameter tires ride better. If not upping the tire diameter, you will need tires with the correct load rating.

You don't mention anything about your current wheels offset, width, tire size or the same data for the 16". Without these it's impossible to say anything concrete.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated above there are a few things you have to look at.

Most rims for trailers are only 7" wide, so width wise you should be ok. You should probably be ok moving up in diameter too, but most 16" trailer rims are 8 lug over the 15" 5 or 6 lug pattern, so a change in hubs or drums may be necessary.

Most trailer for boats of your size, usually are 16" 8 lug pattern wheels. 15" is kinda odd, unless its a older trailer.