Notices

Big Three Comparison

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford is the number 1 selling truck forever for a reason, the new ford diesel is a real truck unlike the other 2 wanna bees.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got 38k on my 2011 F450 and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
I haven't driven the GM, so I cant really comment on the '12, but if you actually DRIVE the Dodge and DRIVE the Ford there is ZERO comparison with regard to which truck drives better or is built better. I understand the Cummins is dead nuts reliable, but I'd be interested in hearing TRUTHFUL, first hand accounts regarding the 6.7Powerstroke issues, if there are any. The techs I have spoken with before and after buying mine are VERY complimentary of the new engine. I owned a
6.Blow Powerstroke for 6 years and was skeptical of going back to a Ford, but the Dodge just didn't do it for me. After 44k on the new 6.7, I haven't had any issues and LOVE the truck.
Fort Mill ford in SC had 3 6.7's with dropped valves that is all i can tell you, had a friend over there with his 6.0 and the tech told him get a gas truck if you want a ford or go GM for the diesel and he told my friend it hurt him to tell him that because he was die hard ford. Oh and my friend sent me pics of the trucks with the cabs off. I hope you get great service out of yours and never have a problem. I like the ford truck i am just not sold on their engines, although i think they are moving in the right direction
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the 6.4 and two buds have them with a combined 200k on all of them and no issues. They suck diesel but what post 2008 diesel doesnt. If you dont need a diesel dont get one, they are big, cool, loud and smelly, but keeping them on the road is not as fun as one thinks.

And to put a bunch of money into an engine just to make it right doesnt seem like a viable option to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Ford is the number 1 selling truck forever for a reason, the new ford diesel is a real truck unlike the other 2 wanna bees.
I have a Ford but I think that number one selling comes more from branding and blind followership than actual quality at times. Late 90's early 2000 F150s were junk and that non turbod 7.3 was reliable but weak.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

lets face it we all have our prefrences and usually it is what you currently own, they all like anything else have good and bad!! if we all liked the same thing the world would be fkd up so good luck with whatever you drive,, getting the boat to the water is what it is all about.

Last edited by rssteiny; 04-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
lets face it we all have our prefrences and usually it is what you currently own, they all like anything else have good and bad!! if we all liked the same thing the world would be fkd up so good luck with whatever you drive,, getting the boat to the water is what it is all about.
True and competiton drives innovation and lowers prices. what irriatetes me to this day on trucks(sorry for the rant) Is 90% of us have Garmins GPS why cant somebody build something into the dash with a plug so we dont have to stick to winshield or drill holes. I know a lot of GPS are different but you would think they could come up with a common design.

Also chevy has been out with the side doors on extended cabs that open all the way for what 6 years now and dodge has actual doors on their extended cabs yet Ford still has the dumb ace doors that open half way. My guess its an attempt to have you spend 4 grand on two doors and another foot of sheet metal on the cab.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

I might add though if you combine silverado and sierra together since they are the same truck minus grill and cup holders their number is pretty close to ford.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes280
Fort Mill ford in SC had 3 6.7's with dropped valves that is all i can tell you, had a friend over there with his 6.0 and the tech told him get a gas truck if you want a ford or go GM for the diesel and he told my friend it hurt him to tell him that because he was die hard ford. Oh and my friend sent me pics of the trucks with the cabs off. I hope you get great service out of yours and never have a problem. I like the ford truck i am just not sold on their engines, although i think they are moving in the right direction
and I have 106k on our 11 F250.. Its all relative...one radiator change out when I went in for a oil change..and I did not notice a thing even under our strict maintenance program . Been an awesome truck and the best Ford diesel that I have ever owned...I even prefer it over our 96 7.3 Powerstroke......The other thing is I dont really read what these mags put down on paper..its all about the advertising dollars. They all have different results depending on where they are tested to expose the other trucks weakness's...The GM's do have the most wins, but when used in the real world, I feel finish's last when taxed to the max. For driving around as a grocery getter and within close to it's limits it is fine..but nothing like the mags boast about. We do use these trucks, and personally Im not brand loyal. The Dodge dually is a car/truck hauler..The F250 is now a hotshot delivery truck...The F350 (personal truck) and GM 2500 are in the construction business. I say drive them all...but do it back to back, sticker for sticker and see what works best for your application. Jeff
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

alot of it is in the eye of the beholder. I think if one were to be un biased and own all three in the exact same trim levels, I dont think you would hear much complaining. And there are lemons out there. But a lot of it comes down to how its used and how its maintained. Ive seen far to many people treat their cars or trucks like high performane vehicles but yet maintain them like you would a golf cart. What it comes down to is what you need and like and does it fit your budget. Personally I think its foolish to just look at one brand before buying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.