Notices

Big Three Comparison

Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes280
I like the ford truck i am just not sold on their engines, although i think they are moving in the right direction
Agreed 100%

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 04-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got thru test driving all three and researched all three very in detail. To me the ford was head over heels better than the other two. Talked to dealers and mechanics and was told the 6.7 is a great hard pulling engine. I bought the ford and so far love it.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

2 year old 2011 Ford F-250 6.7, amazing truck. Don't personally know anyone with problems. I would hate to have to work on it though. I can't tell what half of the stuff under the hood is. Would not have a problem owning the Dmax or the Dodge although not a fan of the Dodge interior.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
and I have 106k on our 11 F250.. Its all relative...one radiator change out when I went in for a oil change..and I did not notice a thing even under our strict maintenance program . Been an awesome truck and the best Ford diesel that I have ever owned...I even prefer it over our 96 7.3 Powerstroke......The other thing is I dont really read what these mags put down on paper..its all about the advertising dollars. They all have different results depending on where they are tested to expose the other trucks weakness's...The GM's do have the most wins, but when used in the real world, I feel finish's last when taxed to the max. For driving around as a grocery getter and within close to it's limits it is fine..but nothing like the mags boast about. We do use these trucks, and personally Im not brand loyal. The Dodge dually is a car/truck hauler..The F250 is now a hotshot delivery truck...The F350 (personal truck) and GM 2500 are in the construction business. I say drive them all...but do it back to back, sticker for sticker and see what works best for your application. Jeff
I still don't see how your experience is consistently the opposite of all the reviews out there, and most definitely don't think it's advertising dollars.

The Dodge/Ford are new trucks w/ new interiors, so I grant they have nice ones. The GM interior/exterior is basically from 2006/2007 so it is a handicap. The new trucks launch next year w/ new exterior/interior but the same bad ass powertrain/frame, I don't see what Ford will have up their sleeve to keep up then. They already upped the power on the 6.7 and still can't beat the 6.6.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rlj676
I still don't see how your experience is consistently the opposite of all the reviews out there, and most definitely don't think it's advertising dollars.

The Dodge/Ford are new trucks w/ new interiors, so I grant they have nice ones. The GM interior/exterior is basically from 2006/2007 so it is a handicap. The new trucks launch next year w/ new exterior/interior but the same bad ass powertrain/frame, I don't see what Ford will have up their sleeve to keep up then. They already upped the power on the 6.7 and still can't beat the 6.6.
The ford 6.7 felt like it had more pulling power than the 6.6 duramax to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

I am not brand loyal what so ever...and to be brand loyal is foolish. If I were to buy a new diesel, it would be a dodge hands down.

Go sit along any interstate and see which brand the "hot shot" haulers are using the most...it will be a dodge. The combination of power, fuel economy and reliability is simply higher than the Ford or GM.

Pull the hood latches on a big rig and see how many V8 diesels you find... Cat tried a v8 with the 3408...but it didn't last long...fuel economy was terrible.

Most of us guys on this forum don't NEED the best diesel truck on the market, so pick the one that makes you the most happy...as long as its not a FORD
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
2 year old 2011 Ford F-250 6.7, amazing truck. Don't personally know anyone with problems. I would hate to have to work on it though. I can't tell what half of the stuff under the hood is. Would not have a problem owning the Dmax or the Dodge although not a fan of the Dodge interior.
Dont count the Dodge interior out. Dont know if MB had any influences when they were involved with the Chrysler Group..but it is nicely done. The seats are not quite as comfortable or is as long where your butt sits, as compared to the Fords..but the overall execution was done extremely well. The GM's interior in our 11 is like my 06 GMC..nothing has changed except the color of the leather..Jeff
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

I agree with Jassman as well, we have a lot of the big 3 throughout family businesses etc and personal use. None of the 6.7's have had issues and one has over 130k miles already and used hard throughout every week and few others have around 100k. But even with the "personal" trucks i.e King Ranches etc and not just "work trucks"... I don't care what any test says, b/c pulling loads behind all 3 including various boats, the Fords just always feel noticeably better and more solid. Especially with higher miles the Fords always held up to abuse way better, I'm talking everything from parts wear to interior rattles. We never had a problem with the Cummin's trucks, it was the rest of the truck that was crap though the new ones finally got an interior to compete against and ride better . GM's interior looks nice but even the plastics and leather on the Denali feel cheaper. And I don't know what they did with the suspension on the new one but it seems out of wack, the older ones always felt too soft/mushy to me loaded/unloaded, new ones feel like their over sprung and damped which I've noticed others complain about. Not an HD but even my buddy who only owns GM trucks, his pops and I told him he should of at least looked at the F-150 when he bought his 1500 Denali last year, on a whim out of no where he went to the dealer and test, traded his truck in and left in an new F-150. He couldn't believe how much nicer the truck drove and how much more solid it was especially on the rough roads in CO.

All 3 make great HD trucks now imo you really can't go wrong and just depends on which you prefer, I lean more towards the Fords for that solid feel. The main thing holding Dodge back before was the interior and everything else besides the engine lol. Hopefully the new interior holds up which it should, and the little changes (like new body mounts etc) make the trucks more solid long term.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

If your a gm guy, great..Like I said, we own all 3. You've know me for at least 10 years...I call it like it is..and all this coming from a die hard GM guy...

The Ford interiors..even from 06 I feel have been slightly nicer..less rattles, better materials, larger knobs for the guys in areas that wear gloves in the winter time, better nav and conviences...etc...In 11 Ford really did a great job in revamping the new interiors.....The frames in the GMs since 11 have been stiffened so much that the articulation when going through a simple ditch with a trailer causes the wheels to come off the ground and loose traction. Yes I will agree..our 11 gmc2500 is closer in handling to a 1/2 ton on steriods...but when used day in and day out, with a load..and not for a article in a magazine..it gets old...too tight is not what you want. You mentioned all the reviews where the Gm has been favored...I did mention that the majority of the rewiews were in favor of the GM truck..but lets break it down..and Im just comparing job 2 and 3trucks. The Ford under load is slightly quicker in a 1/4...How many people jack rabbit there trucks from start to finish in the real world..Not under load the GM is quicker, and better so per the article where all of them are in the Colorado area where the air is thin, and GM's turbo is more effecient...in the real world down here in the South..the heat..they are about dead even when they hit about 75mph...The Ford stops faster with the exception of this article. Has the nicest interior, has the worst exhaust brake, controls the load better with the stability control system, and Im sure there is more..but Its not worth arguing over it. Im just simpling trying to convey..and this is with the new 6.7..Ford has done a great job with this motor. The tranny could shift possibly harder into gear to get the power to the ground better vs the Allison which gets her done..but you feel it..its all give and take..If GM in 14 has the better truck..Im in..Jeff..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The interior in my Dodge truck is fine and the cummins with the 6 speed manual gets great milage.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/cummins.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.