Notices

Big Three Comparison

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Went to the Vintage Races with a friend this week who owns a Ford F250 6.0. He pulls about 10,000 #s combined enclosed trailer and TransAm race car. He is tired of the expense of owning a diesel and is planning on trading it in on an F150 eco-boost with an 11,300# tow rating.

I would have liked to see the load lowered to 11,300# and seen how the eco-boost compared to the big three with diesel power. (FYI currently have both Ford & Chev in my garage. Have owned Mopar in the past.)
had two Diesel F250's 06 and 08 have the 11,300 EB and will not look back. I tow a 9500lb boat.

Last edited by soldier4402; 05-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My cousin in Alabama and I were talking about this same subject recently and he has just about got me talked into one of these for towing.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.memphisequipment.com/file...M900Series.pdf

You know...at the end of the day this 6 x 6 would be a "Champ at the Ramp" and I wouldn't have to concern myself with overloading it.

Last edited by sprink58; 05-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
yeah is spartan was showing 20+ with no load and 16-17 with a 9500lb boat, we were shocked. Well he went back and hand jammed it and he gets about 16ish now and were guessing around 12-13 towing that boat. But from what I heard a lot of these tuners are full of it as far as their MPG. Either way his F450 got like 8-10mpg all the time dont matter what before Spartan. Thing runs like a raped ape now. Im a beleiver in the system beyond his turbos sound like a freight train and he cant keep boots on them. Damn truck also has a high pitched whine at idle now, that is the things people with tuners dont tell you. Im sure tuners are great specially on older models, problem is newer models are far more complicated to just hack off the DPF and tell the computer to no do a regen.
it's amazing how much cooler, smoother, and better these engine (diesels) in general run w/o the DPF and a good tune. Have used Spartan/SCT on all the Ford diesels, with dpf delete, always big increase in mpg hand calc'd.

Friend has one modded too (450), all I know is that with the 4.88 gears truck flies and pulls with ease lol. And at least when stock was always in the 10-11 range whether loaded/unloaded like you mentioned which I always thought was odd lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Went to the Vintage Races with a friend this week who owns a Ford F250 6.0. He pulls about 10,000 #s combined enclosed trailer and TransAm race car. He is tired of the expense of owning a diesel and is planning on trading it in on an F150 eco-boost with an 11,300# tow rating.

I would have liked to see the load lowered to 11,300# and seen how the eco-boost compared to the big three with diesel power. (FYI currently have both Ford & Chev in my garage. Have owned Mopar in the past.)
If I were he I would trade for a 2003+ Dodge 2500 5.9L diesel or sell the Ferd outright. They are getting pretty rare but they can still be found. At that weight he would get much better fuel economy than the gas motor. Easier to mod up too.