Notices

Big Three Comparison

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Big Three Comparison

Car & Driver did a nice comparison of the 3/4 Ton diesel trucks from Chev, Dodge, and Ford. The test included both empty and performance towing a 12,000 load of gravel. Well written IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could see this thread start beating the drums.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill start.

6 cylinder. can't be beat. don't have to take the cab off to do engine work. get 20mpg with my new truck. of course its been "tweaked" a bit. pulls everything I have and then some. 35k miles in 14 months and never misses a beat. integrated exhaust brake with the VGT turbo does wonders slowing me down and have to accelerate down hill at times to gain speed. I am happy. have owned dmax and now dodge. diesel mechanic by trade (recently changed careers into the oil fields) and have worked on all 3. ford has perfected cramming 50lbs of crap in a 1lb box. interiors are nice but engine is a you know what to work on. dmax is a nice truck rides great with the independent suspension but also a you know what to work on. my choices are dodge, gm and couldnt give me a ford! LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Registered

Yup...no fords here. After working on them all day I know better.

I have the Dmax and hope the only work it needs is oil changes; it is tight under the hood. I loves this truck.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Yup...no fords here. After working on them all day I know better.

I have the Dmax and hope the only work it needs is oil changes; it is tight under the hood. I loves this truck.
i have a diesel performance company (actually selling it right now and relaxing finally) and fords, i just don't have words! LOL

when you have to raise the cab or drop the transmission to get the downpipe out, WHY!!!

early dmax are a nightmare with injector issues. they finally fingered that out just in time for more emissions garbage. ditch that stuff and EFI Live and you have a solid truck. I have been GM all my life until my last 2 trucks have been dodge.

my mega was a beast. loved the truck, miss it bad but could not beat the deal i got on the 2011.

in front of my buddies tire/wheel shop.

new one is a beast. 450hp, 1200 ftlb torque, 160 total gallons of fuel, pulls great.

my parents 24' Karver
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cbrahs
i have a diesel performance company (actually selling it right now and relaxing finally) and fords, i just don't have words! LOL

when you have to raise the cab or drop the transmission to get the downpipe out, WHY!!!

early dmax are a nightmare with injector issues. they finally fingered that out just in time for more emissions garbage. ditch that stuff and EFI Live and you have a solid truck. I have been GM all my life until my last 2 trucks have been dodge.

my mega was a beast. loved the truck, miss it bad but could not beat the deal i got on the 2011.

in front of my buddies tire/wheel shop.

new one is a beast. 450hp, 1200 ftlb torque, 160 total gallons of fuel, pulls great.

my parents 24' Karver

Nice truck.
I have the LBZ so all the later upgrades are in it. That helps with a lot of things and especially service.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

the lbz is a good motor. get rid of the emissions and it makes it breath and more efficient.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

I have some mods in mind. EGR delete and a few other Banks things. Don't want to over do it but want it to be solid at full rating.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
I have some mods in mind. EGR delete and a few other Banks things. Don't want to over do it but want it to be solid at full rating.
steer clear from banks. over priced for what you get. also edge. they stopped supporting anything that "fooled" ECM for emissions. PPE or EFI Live is your best bet. EFI Live you can get a custom tune for towing, keep EGT's down and also tune the transmission with improved shifting.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y'all know where I stand lol.

Ford-NEVER

GM-good motor needs live axle for heavy towing. Cannot keep headlights, parking lights, fog lights, taillights from blowing out. Every GM truck and SUV I see has one or more of them blown out. Sad.

Dodge-Cummins nuff said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.