Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Personal auto/truck lift at home? >

Personal auto/truck lift at home?

Notices

Personal auto/truck lift at home?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have a 2 post Atlas 10,000 lb from Greg smith equip, we have used it every day for our business for past 5 years and it has held up very well, I am very impressed with the brawn and build quality for how little I paid. They only sell for about 2200 new so be careful buying a used one. As far as working on your boat or pulling engines with it, aint going to happen. I cannot get my eagle 27 foot trailer between my uprights. The 12,000 lb versions usually have the uprights further apart which would allow you to park a boat trailer between the post but when they get that big it becomes a PIA to get passenger cars on it and to get the arms where you want them. As far as pulling a boat motor out, just not enough height, Smitty
I have alm lifts,,heavy mofo's..as for their widths they are like 105'' between the lifting arms..once in a whyle i have to put the car on 2x4's but rarely..my 33 formula goes betwen them with ease..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-21-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a two post lift and i put an large I beam on top of the posts that holds a trolley and an eletric hoist.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
I have a two post lift and i put an large I beam on top of the posts that holds a trolley and an eletric hoist.
Now that's a goog idear!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have a 2 post Atlas 10,000 lb from Greg smith equip, we have used it every day for our business for past 5 years and it has held up very well, I am very impressed with the brawn and build quality for how little I paid. They only sell for about 2200 new so be careful buying a used one. As far as working on your boat or pulling engines with it, aint going to happen. I cannot get my eagle 27 foot trailer between my uprights. The 12,000 lb versions usually have the uprights further apart which would allow you to park a boat trailer between the post but when they get that big it becomes a PIA to get passenger cars on it and to get the arms where you want them. As far as pulling a boat motor out, just not enough height, Smitty
i have the same lift,and got it 5 years ago,it has been trouble free,i installed a 2 in square tubing with .250 wall thickness across the top and installed an electric winch in the middle,i use it to pull engines out of the smaller boats,just pulled one from a 24 ft sunsation last week.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2 post in the shop that I use for the race car project and it keeps the car weight off of the suspension while its sitting there not being used. The boat won't fit in the shop so I have a gantry crane with a trolley and I beam for pulling the boat engines etc. I won't pick my dually up again with the 2 post, had it fall off once, lucky it was only up about 1ft.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
Be careful... I highly recommend the 4 post lifts... While the 2 post lifts may save space, too much risk IMO. I have been eyeballing several brands and came across this YouTube link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUjq6ijvVc
hmmm, the lift as is would not lift the wieght they used to test, so they loaded it with a forklift? Then they rigged a new lifting pump to lift the overload until it broke? And the last load which broke the lift was not set up right, they had the legs high on the front and low on the back. Dirty pool

Not for nothing, that lift in stock form wouldn't have lifted the load to begin with, the hydro went into bypass. All two post lifts can be scary IMO, I have seen a truck fall off cause someone was using a tranny jack improperly.

They guy who made that video is obviously losing his market to rotary, so he made a video trying to slam the product. I see more rotary lifts out there than any other product....can't be that bad.

Most shops will not lift a DRW on a two post, consumers should not either.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

I am already eyeballing drag cars.

Last edited by 02Adams; 09-25-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

The way I understood the video, the industry standard for testing automotive lifts was they need to be able to lift 1.5 times their rated load.

That lift could not lift 3/4 of its rated load. They fitting the bigger pump to finish the test. There may be situations where someone was able to get the load partly off the ground, lifting what they felt was well within the lifts capacity, only to have the arms fail possible killing or seriously injuring someone.

Also, I could be wrong, but I doubt that is a Rotary lift. Just because it is blue and yellow, does not necessarily make it a Rotary. The locks on the arms do not look like any Rotary I have ever used.

All that being said, the guy making the video is trying to sell his brand. Although I still feel his findings were legit. I wish he let it be known the lift he tested.

Also I have no personal experience with Atlas lifts, so I know nothing about them good or bad.

(Dealer mechanic, 20 years)
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a Bend-Pak 9000lb asymetrical 2 post. Couldn't live without one, you won't want to either once you've had one to use.

As to if it's worth it to you? I think it just gets down to space. If you have the space in your shop then for sure.

Think about where you put it. I've seen people install them against a far wall opposite the door (me included - once), which makes the space between the lift and door somewhat useless except for temporary projects - the car has to get from the door to the lift.

I installed mine in this last shop right inside one of the roll up doors. Worst case a car can drive through it to get to the other side of the shop, and the space on the other side of the lift from the door can be used for more permanent floor space if needed.
When the weather is nice it also allows a lot more light in under the car by opening the door. Those ceiling lights don't do as much when a vehicle is up against them.

I prefer a two post, not four - that way the suspension is free to work on and the vehicle isn't sitting on it.

Some opinions for you to consider from a guy who has made a lot of past mistakes