Notices

EcoBoost like expectancy

Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EcoBoost like expectancy

The EcoBoost are still relatively new so there aren't a whole lot of higher mileage EB out there. Will these motors last 150,000 miles without any major issues? It worries me a little bit that they are no longer offering the 100,000 powertrain warranty (at least to my knowledge). I will not be towing with this truck, I will be using this as a daily driver, regular trips to LOTO, and family trips to FL, etc. With three kidos, we need the room of the Screw so we don't have to take our Suburban everywhere. I think I will put 18,000 to 20,000 miles on the truck each year. I want a truck that I don't have to worry about once it gets closer to 100,000 miles and above. Would the 5.0 be a better option for my circumstances? It seems like the gas mileage is pretty close between the 5.0 and EB so there isn't much advantage there. I'm just wondering about the reliability of the EB given that it's relatively new.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had one come back with over 100,000 so far. The over the road salesman took another 3.5 eco, he was very happy with it, no issues.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
The EcoBoost are still relatively new so there aren't a whole lot of higher mileage EB out there. Will these motors last 150,000 miles without any major issues? It worries me a little bit that they are no longer offering the 100,000 powertrain warranty (at least to my knowledge). I will not be towing with this truck, I will be using this as a daily driver, regular trips to LOTO, and family trips to FL, etc. With three kidos, we need the room of the Screw so we don't have to take our Suburban everywhere. I think I will put 18,000 to 20,000 miles on the truck each year. I want a truck that I don't have to worry about once it gets closer to 100,000 miles and above. Would the 5.0 be a better option for my circumstances? It seems like the gas mileage is pretty close between the 5.0 and EB so there isn't much advantage there. I'm just wondering about the reliability of the EB given that it's relatively new.
Remember even the tried and true 5.4 triton had a few years where they popped plugs out of the block. Ford only offered 60k power train warranties, GM was the one that did 100K.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Tough to say, ugly issues that are known the the majortiy of an engine group usually take a few years to show their face. High miliege over a short period of time is not always a good judge.

And the new 5.0l is not a proven platform either, it really doesn't have anything in common with the old 5.0l.

Drive them both, pick the one that you like, and then consider an extended warranty purchase as peace of mind.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

We had to have new pistons and rings put in our Suburban with 50,000 miles on it. Chevy still hasn't worked the bugs out of the 5.3L with the Active Fuel Management. When it shuts down the 4 cylinders, oil from the 4 cylinders that are running slings oil into the inactive 4 cylinders which caused oil to get past the rings. We were using oil and had blue smoke out the tailpipe. Luckily it was covered under the 100,000 warranty. However, if it wasn't, I wouldn't have a good feeling if I had to fork over money to have this work done after spending all the money to buy the Suburban. I don't understand why Ford doesn't offer the 100,000 warranty like GM. It would give me a lot more comfort with the new motor.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEqwXrqzH4

Definitely inetresting.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Now that is very impressive.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

In addition to the torture testing, remember Ford put a ecoboost truck through the Baja 1000 in like 38 hours full bore over that grueling terrain and weather changes, didn't skip a beat, impressive. And that engine in the Baja truck was the same one already used in Fords torture test that they swapped in, which shows even more how durable it was. If anything that and the Baja run combined would have shown flaws easily.

No engine is perfect, I'm sure some with higher miles will report some quirky weird issues that are rare like has happened with other reliable engines, but I personally wouldn't be worried. The engine had already been around before the F-150 got it.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 10-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

I've heard a lot of great things about this engine but that video was astounding! On the Baha run it used half the fuel, amazing.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the EB in a Lincoln MKT. While I've only got 32K so far, I can't say one bad thing about it. I've been very impressed. Don't understand why Ford doesn't put this application in the Expedition / Navigator platforms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.