Notices

Seeking Tire Recommendations.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hot Java- I had not looked at the Michelin's. The snow thing would be a good question. I forgot to mention I also have a 24 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer and HATE getting stuck in staging areas!

Wildman1- 10 ply, E rated is a MUST for sure.

88242LS- Which Style Cooper's does your Dad have?

RT930Turbo- Good to know about the road-noise. That is one concern of mine. I don't want to have to upgrade my stereo system in order to drown out the road noise.

Brett p- Thanks for the advise. I'd never heard of the Zeon LTZ. One of the options I had written down was the Cooper Discoverer AT3 with the 17/32 tread depth. They look to me like they are similar to these, but maybe a little more snow-worthy, and less off-road worthy.

Laszlo_01- Which Model tire are you running?

mrfixxall- Ever since I saw them the Firestone Destinations have had my interest. I love the tread design and all the siping in the tread. They look like they would be animals in the snow. My two concerns for them are weather or not they would make a lot of road noise in the summer and how long they would last in hot weather.

rmfriday- Did you ever have any road-noise with the Destination tires and how did they hold up for you? Also I really like the Cooper AT3's. Any road noise from them?

Thanks everyone for your input so far. With all this talk about snowmobiling maybe we should get a group together this winter!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

I currently have a brand new set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 E-rated on my 3/4ton Dodge (errand truck); very happy, but no snow exposure yet. I've run Coopers for many years, and I love them. The only thing that let me down, literally, was a piece of metal shard in the sidewall. Those were D-rated tires on my 3/4ton Avalanche a few years ago. I had them on the Avalanche for several big snows in the DC area and they did great. The only time I ever got stuck was when I drove over a snow pile, and sank though, high-centering on the frame; which doesn't count.

I've also run and towed with BFGoodrich All Terrain K/O. Expensive tire, but a VERY proven design with a LOT of marketshare. They were great in the occasional snow of the Mid-Atlantic.

My diesel mechanic swears by Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I've never run them, but he works at a tire/4x4 shop, and can run/buy anything. He chooses them.

My dually came with Michelin LTX tires, and they were a great tire for towing. Probably the most expensive tire out there. No experience in a SRW setup, but I can tell you need them to be "new" to get anywhere in snow. My 60% worn ones left me slipping and sliding a few times. IMHO, I think there are better tires for snow traction.

I replaced the Michelins with Goodyears. Don't even bother buying a Goodyear tire for your truck. They are all junk. The ones I bought were the same as on my boat trailer; E-rated Wrangler HT all-season. I bought them specifically so I could swap them out when I went to bigger wheels and tires on the dually. Unfortuately I bought them right before a roadtrip/tow to FL; and they were like driving on wet spaghetti. I had to pump the pressure up to compensate for the soft compound which sort of worked. I've had a few sets of Goodyear truck tires, and I'll never buy another.
(I upgraded to Roadmaster/Cooper 19.5" tires on my dually. That makes for Coopers on 3 of 4 of my current vehicles; as I run them on my custom Tahoe as well.)

There are a lot of folks running Nitto as well, but I don't have any exposure.
Had I known about www.treadwright.com , I would have probably bought some for my Dodge 2500; but I don't do any 'heavy lifting' with that truck.

There have been a few posts on this in the past. A search will turn up some good info.

I research all of my prospective purchases here:
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...s/Tires+Rating
as well as www.tirerack.com to get real user feedback.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]mrfixxall- Ever since I saw them the Firestone Destinations have had my interest. I love the tread design and all the siping in the tread. They look like they would be animals in the snow. My two concerns for them are weather or not they would make a lot of road noise in the summer and how long they would last in hot weather.[/QUOTE

im in the same weather your in most of the time..i have 40 k on them and their about half worn,you can still see all the siping..my neighbor put bfg's tko's on his dodge the same time i did,,he has less then 40 k on his and he came over by me last week and asked what tires did you put on your truck because mine are shot!!!!!
believe me i hate tire noise and they need to be rotated and they are still real quiet..Btw they were about 225.00 cheaper then the mich lts ms..i put them on my sisters mitsbushi montero limited,she could not believe how much more traction she got compared to the yokohama geolanders she had on it..

im also a fan of goodyear tires but like the name they are only good for one goodyear..

itheirs more like 42 k on thease..

Last edited by FIXX; 10-30-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spaz i will check with my dad as to which ones he's runnin. he's been very happy. oem's were firestone destination's they went about 45k but they were noisy and picked up everything
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas or Diesel?? I assume Diesel. At one time my work had a fleet of 17 PSD's (power stroke Diesels) on the road. The Michelin is a great high milage tire, very hard compound ok in rain / snow but by far not the best. On the trucks here in MI they all got Firestones (softer compound), lasted about 10k less but much better performance in the rain/ snow.

Each truck pulled a 20 to 38 all day everyday. The trick to keeping them quiet is to rotate often!! Another thing we did for the MI trucks is get the tires syped (*sp?) that gives them better rain / snow handling & a little hight tread life.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

they arent cheap but i ran Good Year Silent Armors up here in upstate NY on my F250 and never had to put the truck into 4x4 most of the winter.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

2005 F-250 Crew cab long bed, I just changed the original BFG off this truck at 58K, had such good luck with them, I put the same ones back on.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out the Toyo Open Country A/T II tire. I'm putting these on my 2500HD next after running the Toyo M/T.

http://toyotires.com/tires/pattern/o...-terrain-tires
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

118,000 out of my last set of Michelin LTX's. 285/65/16. Best tires, bar none.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
118,000 out of my last set of Michelin LTX's. 285/65/16. Best tires, bar none.
I second that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.