Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts >

Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts

Notices

Paging Sydways or WD hitch experts

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if you have surge brakes your not soppose to use a WD hitch,,some do and i have but now i convert to electric and dont worrie about the weight with the extra leaf i put in..
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 4,728 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I have a dilemma, the sway control hitch does not fit trailers with frames larger than 2 1/2" . My frame is 3x8 .. any other solution then cutting the sway control mounts and welding them on? I`d hate to do that to a newly painted trailer..Reese did not have any other solution.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

You are not putting a WD hitch on a boat trailer for sway control. You are doing it for load balance.
Boat trailers rally don't sway. If you are still going with the hitch in the original post, just forget about the sway cams.

Have a custom Pole Tongue Adapter made. Roger1 can do it for you down in Kankakee. My friend had two attachments made out of box tubing for his trailer years ago; and it only spread the bars about 12" apart, much less than the PTA you buy from the hitch manufacturer. It worked fine. (Sorry, I don't have pics.)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

Actually sway is the only reason I'm doing it, I have air bags, add a leaf, and he's shocks, load is not an issue, sway was scary the one time I took it out last year, over 65mph was a real issue keeping it in one lane
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Actually sway is the only reason I'm doing it, I have air bags, add a leaf, and he's shocks, load is not an issue, sway was scary the one time I took it out last year, over 65mph was a real issue keeping it in one lane
Sway happens because the bounce/flex between the two vehicles is transferring weight fore and aft making steering and control difficult.

Are you exceeding the tow vehicle's towing capacity? (most important question as you can't band-aid this)

Are you exceeding the tow vehicle's tongue weight capacity?
Do you have the tongue weight set up to be between 8 & 15 % of the entire trailer?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
There are a number of things to confirm are correct when pulling heavy with an Excursion. (Earlier post said you were using one.) I too have an Excursion, and have done a lot of research on this. When everything is set right, you shouldn't have sway problems with an offshore performance boat behind your Excursion.

1. Check you have reasonable tires
2. Check your steering box adjustment and all the movable links in the steering, ESPECIALLY the joint between the steering gear box arm and the arm going down to the tie rod. This joint is tight in it's neutral setting while parked, but when running can flex up the tapered shaft and make steering a mess.
3. The stock rear springs on the Excursion are horrible. They allow too much spring wrap which leads to rear wheel steer, leading to too much sway. Fixes are a) Radius Rods, b) Changing the rear springs to a combo of F250/Excursion hi-breds. (I did the Radius Rods years ago, and like them. But the reports of the spring change are so impressive I may give that a try.)
4. How much weight is on the tongue of your trailer? Do you know the targets?
5. How true is the alignment on your trailer axles?
6. You're pulling a 38 Flat Deck, right? That's a lot of weight to pull, 15,000+. Crawl under and make sure the hitch is well attached to the frame, and not rusting out or compromised in any way. Aftermarket hitches are rare, and most are custom jobs. So, you're probably stuck the the stocker.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered

This is the following that is done to the Excursion(which yes is technically not rated to tow my Flat Deck)

1. Rebuilt heavy duty trans/ T-stat controlled -fan powered trans cooler
2. F350 front springs
3. 1500lbs add a leaf in the rear
4. Adjustable Koni HD springs
5. Air bags and compressor with gauge
6. Eaton posi rear end

I`m weak on tires: 305 -70- 16

Tires and weight distribution hitch.. I`d hate to get rid of this this truck for a dually.. the 3 rows of seating and room is something we`d really miss.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Are you exceeding the tow vehicle's tongue weight capacity?
Do you have the tongue weight set up to be between 8 & 15 % of the entire trailer?
I don`t know ..I`ll use my wifes bathroom scale to check
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The other thing the excursion has against it is a short wheelbase. At only 137", vs a crew cab long bed 172". That makes a big difference in stability.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Icedappl- I tow my Chris Cat and have no sway with twin axles and 11,000 lbs including trailer. I rarely go over 65. I also suggest looking at the trailker axles and tires to make sure they aren't flexing and are straight. I also run Michelin E range LTX on my Avalanche 2500 and they make a world of difference. If your tires are flexing to much this will accentuate the sway.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.