Notices

Jag XJR

Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag XJR

Looking to buy a Jaguar XJR. Any input into the cars running or problems. Anyone have a older 2000 to mid 2006 for sale? Drove one at the dealers, seems like a nice ride, it was a 2010 and way too much $$$ Also sorry to post in here only reason I did is that this is a automotive section, well kinda, and did not want to post in the wanted section since its more of a fact finding mission. Guess I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Andy; 11-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

There seem to be alot of them for sale with bad transmissions , I called on a re-manned trans for a customer 3 months ago and was told 3200$ my cost (plus rxr labor) from a aftermarket place so keep that in mind. I get several calls a year on them about bad transmissions and it always 80-120 k miles, here is a link to one going thru the auction, 80,000 on it with a bad trans. Sems to be the downfall of the 4.0 v-8 sedan/ suv's from Jaguar
http://auction.repocast.com/details....1058046#photos
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

I was once looking into the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar S-type. I was told to ONLY buy a 2003 or later model as they had much better transmissions. I believe the other Jaguar chassis used the same transmission/driveline.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Thanx for the heads up regarding trannys. I am looking at the XJR's only, as they have the V8 and supercharger. I will find out if the trannys are the same as the non supercharged Jags. Would be great to get one with a popped tranny as my buddy is a tranny guy.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Buy a Mercedes E-55 or CL-55 or S-55 or SL-55. V8 Supercharged cars.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 813 Likes on 376 Posts

I just sold ours a few weeks ago. In 04 they changed body styles. If you can swing it go with the newer body style.

You don't want to buy pre-2000. They had some issues with the alloys that caused cylinder deterioration. Search for Nickel and you'll run across the issue. They also had ugly rims before 2000 so don't even bother going that far back.

The TRANNY's are not junk. LOTS of mis-diagnosis. We sold ours just shy of 100k but only because my wife had gotten a Tahoe and NEVER drove the jaguar again.

The only thing that pissed me off with owning the car was I went to change a wheel bearing on it and it required a 7 piece specialy tool kit which was about 700 bucks. I ended up going to the dealer and letting them do it for much less.

I'd own one again. Its nice being in something that is a little different.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Stay away from jag ------- extreme money pit !!!!!!!!After the warr.expires your stuck with huge repair bills . They drop like a stone in value !

Jim
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by cigboat1
Stay away from jag ------- extreme money pit !!!!!!!!After the warr.expires your stuck with huge repair bills . They drop like a stone in value !

Jim
++1 same goes for Mercedes,,they are nice when they are new but way expensive to fix after the warr is up..i have bmw and they never have giving me any real major problems..just brakes and thats about it..
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cigboat1

Jim
My step dad has an 05 XJR that he loves. Great riding and running car. He has about 130K on it now and the only major issue he has had is with the air suspension. It just started erroring a few days ago so no idea what it will be to repair yet as he has not had time to get it in.

One thing I will say is just like any high end car, Jag, Rover, Benz, BMW, etc... Make sure you have a good service person that you can rely on and trust. They have expensive parts and can all run up high bills but it gets much worse with a shady service place that likes to "add" in charges.