Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
HELP with torsion axle numbers EE5293078065L1ED-8158 on 98 model tow master !!!!!!!!! >

HELP with torsion axle numbers EE5293078065L1ED-8158 on 98 model tow master !!!!!!!!!

Notices

HELP with torsion axle numbers EE5293078065L1ED-8158 on 98 model tow master !!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP with torsion axle numbers EE5293078065L1ED-8158 on 98 model tow master !!!!!!!!!

This number is stenciled on the bottom of the front axle on this tow master trailer built in 1998. I have talked to axle people till I'm blue int the face and nobody seems to know anything about this numbering system. EE5293078065L1ED-8158
I know tow master went out of business and maybe this is their own number but someone should know something about it or the build products tow master used. I already called NEXTRAIL because people said that they got Tow Master or what ever but nextrail was very short, abrupt and withdrawn about anything of tow master if this were the case.
The trailer is a 38-42 foot triple torsion axle aluminum "I" beam product built with disc brakes. The axles are galvanized, 3" straight square tube with 6 on 5-1/2 hubs. Dexter said they were not doing disc back in 98 so it could not be their product; based on the brakes. I think any brake system could be bolted on an axle for that matter but this was their response. Also the drop/start point and load point measurements don't quite match up with the dexter production numbers. The start is between the measurements of 10° down and 22.5° down on the dexter #11 torsion axle spec sheet.
The front axle has this 8158 at the end, the middle axle has 8187 at the end and the rear axle has 8125 at the end so the string of numbers is the same on each axle except the last 4 digits.
With the trailer GVWR at 15,000lbs the axles are 5K lbs or current production calls them 5,200 lbs.

Can anyone shed some light on what axle I need to replace a bent one on this trailer???????????????? Help, help, help, Please.

Last edited by aquaforce; 06-17-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Also, in an effort of product identity, there is a small dimple or recess on the bottom, in the center of the axle tubes. Is this specific to someone's build or product??????
Anyone recognize this description??
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

Anyone in the trailer industry that knows something about this?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

I know it's a pain, but the majority of the axle manufacturers (Dexter included) will build you an axle to your specs. Of course you'll have to provide them with all the data including the hub to hub, bolt pattern, flange orientation and width, etc, but they will be able to help you in replicating what you have instead of chasing an OEM. As far as the "relaxed" measure on the torsion axle, over the years they tend to wear and settle a bit, so you can't expect that angle to be quite what it was when new.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I have the same axle setup. 16.5k rated trip torsion axle alum trailer w/6 on 5.5. Is it the actual galv square tube that needs replacement or the torsion system (outter portion)?For many of the torsion systems you can unbolt it from the frame and slide on a new one. In looking to have a custom trailer built, I found many of these Similiar parts on southwest wheel.com
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Years ago, I had Dexter ship new axles direct via a truck shipment.

I think I ordered them through www.championtrailerparts.com

I have found Champion to be very knowledgeable and helpful over the years.

Also, look up OSO member "smcser" http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/members/smcser.html
He is also quite knowledgeable as he runs a trailer and hitch shop in Maryland.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I know it's a pain, but the majority of the axle manufacturers (Dexter included) will build you an axle to your specs. Of course you'll have to provide them with all the data including the hub to hub, bolt pattern, flange orientation and width, etc, but they will be able to help you in replicating what you have instead of chasing an OEM. As far as the "relaxed" measure on the torsion axle, over the years they tend to wear and settle a bit, so you can't expect that angle to be quite what it was when new.

I wondered how much age would change the exact measurements or if that was proof of a different mfgr. The numbers are so centered between the two different drops that I can't even decide which way to go on a generic axle swap.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by high bid
I believe I have the same axle setup. 16.5k rated trip torsion axle alum trailer w/6 on 5.5. Is it the actual galv square tube that needs replacement or the torsion system (outter portion)?For many of the torsion systems you can unbolt it from the frame and slide on a new one. In looking to have a custom trailer built, I found many of these Similiar parts on southwest wheel.com

Maybe that helps in determining mfgr.... none of the parts on this assembly come apart. It is fully assembled, pressed, welded and other than the hubs nothing can be taken off.
Never thought of southwest wheel. I can see what they have to say.

Last edited by aquaforce; 06-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Years ago, I had Dexter ship new axles direct via a truck shipment.

I think I ordered them through www.championtrailerparts.com

I have found Champion to be very knowledgeable and helpful over the years.

Also, look up OSO member "smcser" http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/members/smcser.html
He is also quite knowledgeable as he runs a trailer and hitch shop in Maryland.

If I were getting all new then I would go with the new "T" designated Dexters because they are built specifically for the triple application whereas these older ones, Dexter or not, were not built that way.
Thanks for the reference, those who have been doing this for many years may have run across this kind of situation of spot fixing an old set up and knowing about past builds etc.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a slightly different axle but you could get 3 or 4" galv sq and get two new torsion outters bolted to the frame and have a properly rated setup. W/torsion each wheel moves complete and independent of the others and as long as rated correctly I wouldn't worry about it.
Pic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.