Notices

Locker rear-ends

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Using close to 1000lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed.
If was a real ramp, I wouldn't have a problem. My lake is 55ft below normal. I drive down the ramp, then drive another 1/8 mile before I reach water.
The "ramp" (using that term loosely) that I've been using is made up of clay (which is usually wet) and smooth loose rocks ranging from golf ball to soft ball size and all on a 30 deg incline. No, it's not bouldering, but it's no cakewalk either..
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zz28zz
While complaining abt my difficulties pulling my boat out of the lake on a dirt/rock "ramp", a workmate suggested installing a locker set-up. I already have a functional limit-slip rear-end and I always spin both back tires when traction is an issue. Hard to believe a locker would make much difference in a situation like this.

Anyone have experience using a locker rear-end vs a limited-slip while retrieving from the beach?
Why spend $1000 on a locker when it is going to do the exact same thing in this situation??

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
a locker acts like an open rear until one side spins by a certain amount over the other side which is what causes it to lock up. generally they will stay locked untill you stop and back up while turning which unlocks them. the posi is always locked up but will break loose and slip with traction and turning, etc.
completely wrong. Unless you have a lunchbox locker (lockers that are gay and POS's that you keep them in a lunchbox to swap them out on the fly) then it is NOTHING like an open rear. WTF? And turning does nothing but LOCK them even harder.... I don't even understand the rest of your response, literally...like not at all understand.

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Sounds like your limited slip is already doing what it's supposed to, a locker would be a waste of money.

If you do decide to go with a locker, make sure to verify with the manufacturer that it's ok to tow with it. It's possible it's changed but when I was looking to put one in my old truck years ago, it was advised not to have a locker when towing due to it locking up going around corners under load and would basically blow out the gears.
Not really...you would snap an axle or grind the splines off first. The only "gears" that would be weak are the spider gears which you won't even have if you have a full locker. (ARB exempt) You will have normal wear and tear on ring and pinion while towing.

I discussed this with my off-roading buddy a bit more and got a bit more clarification on his stance.
I always thought the limited-slip simply just had a pre-load on the clutches that would assure both wheels would have some torque being applied. But my buddy was telling me when one wheel starts spinning, additional pressure is applied to the clutches causing a sharp increase in torque to the non-spinning wheel, which breaks it loose due to the inertia of the spinning wheel and driveshaft. Then you have both tires spinning and traction is almost completely lost.

The lockers he was referring to were the air lockers that when actuated, prevent the spider gears from rotating so there's no abrupt torque increase from clutches slipping, then locking up. He admitted the benefit in a situation like at the "ramp" would be minimal, but under certain circumstances (like large loose rocks) might be just enough to make the difference.
Going from what you have now, to an air locker will do nothing. The time it takes for "posi" to kick in is minimal at best. It's not like you are doing a one tire fire burnout and all of a sudden the other slams into gear. If you pre-load any posi it is going to leave/pull/launch with BOTH wheels turning...

I would go with the air locker if I did install one. It would only be used to get the boat out of the water and up the incline, no turning. Once at the top, it would be turned off.
your posi is doing this exact same thing except for "turning" it off...install a toggle on your dash if it makes you feel better.

Originally Posted by trannyjoe
keep what you have it sounds like its working well just change lub every 30000 miles
Trannyjoe is obviously legit and knows his shyt.

Thx for the feedback guys!

I had initally just compared the Detroit locker aginst the ARB air locker.

The Detroit locker is cheaper and all mechanical, but some complain abt it being too noisy for a truck that spends 99% of it's life on the street.

The advantage of the Air Locker is there's no noise and the differential acts perfectly normal when it's not engaged.
Disadvantages are you need an onboard compressor and the air lines are suseptable to damage. Proper air line routing would be critical.

However, having an onboard compressor might come in handy for other things, like adj tire press out in the middle of nowhere or whatever.

I'll have to look into the electronic versions.

My plan is to sell my 2wd and buy a 4wd.

Thinking abt using front and rear lockers with 4wd. That would be the ultimate set-up for beach launching!
I just realized how gay it would be to have an air locker on a 2wd truck..

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Have you tried more weight in the bed?
Yea, put more weight in the back to bury you even faster, that's what I would do.

Using close to 1000lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed.
If was a real ramp, I wouldn't have a problem. My lake is 55ft below normal. I drive down the ramp, then drive another 1/8 mile before I reach water.
The "ramp" (using that term loosely) that I've been using is made up of clay (which is usually wet) and smooth loose rocks ranging from golf ball to soft ball size and all on a 30 deg incline. No, it's not bouldering, but it's no cakewalk either..
Again, lose the weight, it's a lose/lose situation. It's not helping, and not having it won't help either. I suggest buying a 4wd. But if you are dead set on keeping your 2wd, then i would invest in a set of paddle tires as these would do the most good out of anything mentioned here....

Last edited by keegan; 08-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there's that....LMAO
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

There's something alright.. Multiple straw-man arguments laced with a little bit of fact and a heavy dose of sarcasm..
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered

There's something alright.. Multiple straw-man arguments laced with a little bit of fact and a heavy dose of sarcasm..
So now I am a scarecrow?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 941 Likes on 343 Posts

gee sorry keegan, I did not realize you were such an angry automotive engineer. here is the definition of a mechanical locker rear differential.

The Torsen differential* is a purely mechanical device; it has no electronics, clutches or viscous fluids.

*The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together. The design of the gears in the differential determines the torque bias ratio. For instance, if a particular Torsen differential is designed with a 5:1 bias ratio, it is capable of applying up to five times more torque to the wheel that has good traction.

this is what most production trucks use. to release the locking action you generally have to back up while turning to release them. I know I am not the expert you are but after 280,000 miles with mine I know how it works.

here is how a standard limited slip works.

The spring pack pushes the side gears against the clutches, which are attached to the cage. Both side gears spin with the cage when both wheels are moving at the same speed, and the clutches aren't really needed -- the only time the clutches step in is when something happens to make one wheel spin faster than the other, as in a turn. The clutches fight this behavior, wanting both wheels to go the same speed. If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch. The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.

as I said when there is traction present at both wheels it slips, i.e. when turning and both tires have traction.

I may not have a masters in differential design like you apparently do but I have worked on enough of them to know how they work.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
gee sorry keegan, I did not realize you were such an angry automotive engineer. here is the definition of a mechanical locker rear differential.

The Torsen differential* is a purely mechanical device; it has no electronics, clutches or viscous fluids.

*The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together. The design of the gears in the differential determines the torque bias ratio. For instance, if a particular Torsen differential is designed with a 5:1 bias ratio, it is capable of applying up to five times more torque to the wheel that has good traction.

this is what most production trucks use. to release the locking action you generally have to back up while turning to release them. I know I am not the expert you are but after 280,000 miles with mine I know how it works.

here is how a standard limited slip works.

The spring pack pushes the side gears against the clutches, which are attached to the cage. Both side gears spin with the cage when both wheels are moving at the same speed, and the clutches aren't really needed -- the only time the clutches step in is when something happens to make one wheel spin faster than the other, as in a turn. The clutches fight this behavior, wanting both wheels to go the same speed. If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch. The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.

as I said when there is traction present at both wheels it slips, i.e. when turning and both tires have traction.

I may not have a masters in differential design like you apparently do but I have worked on enough of them to know how they work.
No, that is the definition of a POS limited slip that is gay.(I should just stop there) It is a poser wannabe lunchbox locker but worse. Thank you for the wikipedia information though. Backing up to unlock and turning? LOL...... I would be curious as to how many times you "back up" in a day.. Even lunchbox lockers will slap/unlock just from lifting off the gas at times. I don't even care to explain anything further. I am headed to starbucks in my DD that has a full spool (i.e. same as open diff)...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by keegan
So now I am a scarecrow?
Humm, must be a habit.