Notices

Looking to upgrade my truck

Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My '11 Duramax was in the shop 3X for a leaking downpipe. On the 11's and up, GM added a 9th fuel injector that sprays directly into the exhaust during regen. Diesel fuel was leaking out the connection to the exhaust pipe and smoking like crazy. I finally deleted everything and have loved the truck ever since. I'm running aFe 4" turbo downpipe back exhaust with a muffler. The sound is perfect. It's kinda loud from behind the truck, but just right inside. Be careful, though. This diesel modding stuff gets addictive. I'm currently running a H&S tuner with custom PPEI tunes that add up to 200HP. That required an inline lift pump to keep up with fuel delivery. It also starts to run a little hot on the 200 tune, so I'll be adding water/meth injection soon. Once installed, the engine will have about 650HP.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your comment Plum_Crazy, I don't want to" hop up" my truck, it has enough power to do what I bought it for but if that comes with a tune to increase the mpg I won't kick it to the curb. Lol, + I have too many boat projects to do with out spending excess money on my truck. My main 2 concerns are fixing the exhaust right the 1st time & increasing the mileage per gallon because the truck is my main transpo. If more power & a better sound are a result then so be it. Randy
Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Have you looked at MBRP? I am real happy with their system on my Ford. It's been on there for 6+ years and never an issue.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out duramaxforum.com. You can learn about all your options there.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 106 Posts

I gained MPG deleting the emissions on my 2010 Ram. I think you are on the right track with a tuner, exhaust etc to delete your emissions. Just make sure to run the tuner on a level that is close to stock, or slightly above stock. I found out that my "no power" setting on the H@S tuner was actually a detuned power level. So for my Ram I had to run power level "mild" with the timing on level "2" to be closest to stock. Sorry I do not know more about the Duramax. Hope this helps!

Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 08, not a dually, I have a aftermarket, exhaust(DPF/cat delete), EGR block off, and tuned by duramaxtuner using EFI live, love it, I have the under 8500lb tow tune(you can get several or switchable) the exhaust brake mod they include is awesome..you have to be careful when getting this all together as some tuners will only tune with the EGR/DPF/CAT delete for "off road" trucks..Rob