Notices

Tow tune for Duramax?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will be a little more trans friendly. Still might have him price a Trango Jr kit.
I paid for the dealer to install a triple disc Suncoast converter instead of the stock single on warranty rebuild but he would not do the shift kit and I don't have the guts/experience to do Transgo myself. Its on my short list before doing a dsp5. Would really like to get the turbo brake. It was not used/popular when I bought my LMM tune in 2007.

Two other things to specify-
1. Remove 93mph speed limiter
2. If he is doing it local, see if he has a Tech 2 and will modify your BCM to lower air pressure thresholds to 40-45psi so TPMS light does not come on when running 55-65 psi.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 03-11-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered

Efi live with 5 setting dps switch
Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ive got the banks 6 gun, when I turn it up past 3 it goes into limp mode. On the scanner it shows to be running on low fuel pressure just on 4thru6 anyone have a suggestion? i pull with it all the time i just know how to not push it to its point.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Ive got the banks 6 gun, when I turn it up past 3 it goes into limp mode. On the scanner it shows to be running on low fuel pressure just on 4thru6 anyone have a suggestion? i pull with it all the time i just know how to not push it to its point.
You need at least a lift pump. https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=399
The stock CP3 (fuel pump) has a tough job sucking though 20' of hose, a filter, then pressurizing to 24k psi. Lift pump does the bulk work so the CP3 can do its primary job of pressurizing.

AirDog and FASS are full package options. Water separator, Air separator, fine fuel filter and pump in one unit.
My FASS saved my AZZ last summer, catching a 12+oz slug of water that would have shut down the stock filter or worse. I never noticed until I did my 6 month drain which is as easy as opening a spigot.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
You need at least a lift pump. https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=399
The stock CP3 (fuel pump) has a tough job sucking though 20' of hose, a filter, then pressurizing to 24k psi. Lift pump does the bulk work so the CP3 can do its primary job of pressurizing.

AirDog and FASS are full package options. Water separator, Air separator, fine fuel filter and pump in one unit.
My FASS saved my AZZ last summer, catching a 12+oz slug of water that would have shut down the stock filter or worse. I never noticed until I did my 6 month drain which is as easy as opening a spigot.
My next plans are the lift pump and Transgo Jr.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 923 Likes on 308 Posts

Electric lift pump is one of the first mods I recommend for a Duramax, it's the only Bosch common rail engine that "Doesn't " use one... Second must have is an EGT gauge if you towing a bunch. Timing values in the tune can really dictate EGT's.

Depending on exhaust, tune power and other mods, they will average 1200-1450F EGT if matted when loaded. I got my buddies down to 1250F towing 5k boat up long hills sporting a 500hp tune. That's plenty safe if the the EGR cooler is out of play.

I love the DSP5 option, but it's hard on the tranny if you don't allow time or force it to relearn between stages. In other words, never switch from towing to a race tune at a stop light while setting beside that new Mustang, or you might win the race but lose a transmission....

BTW, I would let Lil Red tune my Dmax any day..

Last edited by kidturbo; 03-12-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Johnny change your fuel filter. Lift pump shod be one of the first mods because it will help with cp3 and fpr longevity but I had the 6 gun way back and no pump it was fine if my filter had less than 7,000 miles on it.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

s022mag
I put a diablo predator tune on my truck several hundred thousand miles ago and never looked back.
2005 Duramax. I spend $200 for it used. I currently have 315K on it and still running fine.
Longevity is great on this motors and trannies.. haven't done anything significant yet
You will get a lot more information at diesel place on them
Mileage is a lot better with the tune and I tow heavy regularly 10-12K
If you need more information let me know
Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Go to duramaxdiesels.com better site owned by real people. Nick sold out dieselplace and it kinda went down the tubes. It's amazing how 5-7 years ago everyone was willing to help tune. Now it's all hush hush and send your ECM out lol it's actually quite comical to watch it evolve. It's not rocket science it's math and seat of the pants.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 923 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Now it's all hush hush and send your ECM out lol it's actually quite comical to watch it evolve. It's not rocket science it's math and seat of the pants.
Yeah it's gotten to commercial for my likes also when it comes to diesel tuning. Everyone acts like they have some top secret magic files they're using, when truth is it's no different principles than mechanics have used for decades. A buddy gave me some old well proven race tunes he wrote, which I then de-tune to make street or tow tunes by comparing to stock settings and plenty of test driving. If I send ya a tune, I could care less if you modify it or share with your buddies, I do this for fun not $$$...

Biggest problem today is the EPA cracked down on EDGE last year for selling "canned" tuners which could delete the EGR and DPF parts on diesels. That scared the $hit out of other big name companies like PPE, so everyone pulled those options. Now your only choice if you want big 5 inch straight pipes are using EFIlve or HP tuners, and paying for someone to write ya a custom file. Or like Red mentioned, send your ECM off to have return tuned and locked. I'm probably one of the only guys in the states who can even tune a 2011 or newer Dmax how ya want it. That's only because "Boats" are exempt from these EPA rules.. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.