Notices

CDL question

Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - So, if I read that correctly, as as long as it is not a "commercial vehicle", a placarded vehicle, or transporting people - no CDL is required for a trailer exceding 10,000 lbs. Basically recreational and personal use combination such as mine - truck is registered @ 22k lb combination. Truck rating @ 9.8k lb with the trailer @ 12k lb for a total of 21.8k lb combo for personal use is legal on a class C endorsement?? Correct me if I'm worng.

The back side of my licence says - CLASS: CM - Single/Combo < 26,001 and Morotcycle / Motor Driven Cycle"
Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Due to having to drive the farm's grain truck, I've had a class C license forever. My class C is good up to 26K lbs with or without airbrakes. It includes being good for up to 26K lbs COMBINED weight whether personal or commercial registered vehicles. The farm is a business.
Also earlier in my career when I was traveling the country running industrial construction projects as an independant contractor, the general contractors would give me a choice of company trucks to drive and their insurance companies would require a copy of my driver's license if I chose a Ford F450 or F550 to drive. On occasion I was asked to pull a loaded company trailer to project sites as long as the combined GCW was below 26K lbs.
If you guys are barely over 26K lbs, buy an aluminum trailer and get a class C. Problem solved.
You must be an old fart like me and got grandfathered in when the FEDs combined/took over states authority on all DOT matters several years ago.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner
OK - So, if I read that correctly, as as long as it is not a "commercial vehicle", a placarded vehicle, or transporting people - no CDL is required for a trailer exceding 10,000 lbs. Basically recreational and personal use combination such as mine - truck is registered @ 22k lb combination. Truck rating @ 9.8k lb with the trailer @ 12k lb for a total of 21.8k lb combo for personal use is legal on a class C endorsement?? Correct me if I'm worng.

The back side of my licence says - CLASS: CM - Single/Combo < 26,001 and Morotcycle / Motor Driven Cycle"
Correct. Exactly what I said.

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
You must be an old fart like me and got grandfathered in when the FEDs combined/took over states authority on all DOT matters several years ago.
I got my class C in '96. I've never had/needed a CDL and definitely don't want one lol
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You are legal, like others have said once you put a name, lettering on a vehicle you are considered commercial even if it is just advertising your own stuff BUT either way weight wise you are legal.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Great! I have already printed, highlighted, and placed HabanaJoe's link in the truck with my registration and insurance cards!!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Great! I have already printed, highlighted, and placed HabanaJoe's link in the truck with my registration and insurance cards!!
LOL - I know that cops bust balls but the law is the law after owning several hundred trucks and hundreds of millions of miles through most states I learned one thing - no one gets pulled over or hassled for doing nothing! Something made the cop look at you whether you have ultra dark tinted windows, dressed like a gangster, your car was too loud, dirty as sh*t, the stereo is blasting cop killer rap music but something made them look twice at you!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
LOL - I know that cops bust balls but the law is the law after owning several hundred trucks and hundreds of millions of miles through most states I learned one thing - no one gets pulled over or hassled for doing nothing! Something made the cop look at you whether you have ultra dark tinted windows, dressed like a gangster, your car was too loud, dirty as sh*t, the stereo is blasting cop killer rap music but something made them look twice at you!
LOL! I shouldn't have to worry about your examples but do agree with your point! A buddy of mine got stopped last year for running a weight class 3 and towing a 33' boat. It turned into a $600 lesson!

My truck is unmarked with the exception of a Sunsation decal on the rear window... That's probably enough to meet the defination of "marked"...
Attached Thumbnails CDL question-img_20131204_203411304.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you PA residents...http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../section_1.pdf page 11.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! I shouldn't have to worry about your examples but do agree with your point! A buddy of mine got stopped last year for running a weight class 3 and towing a 33' boat. It turned into a $600 lesson!

My truck is unmarked with the exception of a Sunsation decal on the rear window... That's probably enough to meet the defination of "marked"...
In PA if you tow over 10,000 pounds (commercial or not) you need a combination weight on your registration.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sbracing
In PA if you tow over 10,000 pounds (commercial or not) you need a combination weight on your registration.
was that on page 11, I'm not seeing what you are refernecing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.