Notices

CDL question

Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Some people will have the usual "a cop told me..." or "when I was stopped they would have ticketed me for..."

But the law is the law regardless of what anyone thinks or has heard and this is the law:

(a) Vehicle group descriptions. Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:

(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

(3) Small Vehicle (Group C)—Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the hazardous materials as defined in § 383.5.
That is good info in section 1 and contradicts what I was told by the RI DOT state trooper...........not that I'm too surprised by that. That was the point I had been trying to make and the answer didnt make logical sense to me when I had the discussion with him..........shouldn't it be over 26k GVW combined AND over 10k GVW towed vs OR 10k towed? I'd swear he showed me something in writing reflecting what he said but it was a long time ago now.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pat@osp
That is good info in section 1 and contradicts what I was told by the RI DOT state trooper...........not that I'm too surprised by that. That was the point I had been trying to make and the answer didnt make logical sense to me when I had the discussion with him..........shouldn't it be over 26k GVW combined AND over 10k GVW towed vs OR 10k towed? I'd swear he showed me something in writing reflecting what he said but it was a long time ago now.
Troopers don't know all the laws, we had a problem last year "again" here in NJ where we are based and we had to take it to a special Trooper that does training for the general population of NJ Trooper's in DOT regs to resolve our matter.

I believe the CDL laws are repeated with more folklore and say so than fact, so much so they become the facts - like the famous quote "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend!"
Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayFan
I live in CT and tow my boat (29' Formula) with my "commercially registered" 2013 F 350 diesel, dually dump. When hooked up I am just over the magic "26K pound weight limit". I don't do any commercial boat towing, or towing outside of CT. Seems I need a "class A" CDL license.....to be legal.

Can someone tell me what is involved in this......who has gone through this. I've been told different things from different CT DMV offices......some say I need a "road test".....some say I don't!
I'm in Michigan so it may be different. Here if combined vehicle and trailer exceed 25,999 lbs you need a Class A CDL. TO get one you have to pass a written exam, a road test with a semi+trailer and doctors exam. One time deal, if you get a DUI it is gone.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbracing
In PA if you tow over 10,000 pounds (commercial or not) you need a combination weight on your registration.
Correct. I bumped mine up to a Weight Class 8 (21,001 lb to 26,000 lb) in combination. Mine is actually titled @ 22,000 lb since that it the maximun according to my owner's manual (they take a copy of the page when it is submitted). The Weight Class 8 cost $405/year or $0.135/mile since only drive it ~ 3000 miles/year. Lol
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because the boat trailer is rated for X pounds over what the boat actually weighs is stupid. Ranks right up there with all guys being rapists because they have the hardware and the thoughts.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was that on page 11, I'm not seeing what you are refernecing?
Sorry section 1-1 has a chart to determine if you need a CDL in PA...It is page 11 of the PDF file
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner
I did some research (a lot of research) on this a year ago just completely confused myself… I even called the local State Police barracks and talked to the DOT officer. He mentioned the non-commercial Class A but then told me it wasn’t necessary less than 26,000lbs…

My truck (08 2500HD Duramax) originally had weight class 3 (7001 lb – 9000 lb) I don’t know how I got out of the dealership with that since the truck’s door sticker is 9,800 lbs.
My trailer has 12,000 lb rating which means the truck registration & weight class now need to be in combination. I re-registered truck to a Class 8 (21,001 lb – 26,000 lb). Actually, my title states 22,000 lbs since that’s the maximum according to the owner’s manual and that’s fine since the combo equals 21,800 lb.

According to the statement above, you are saying I now need a CDL, since the trailer is over 10,000 lbs?
Originally Posted by pat@osp
Yes, as far as I know that is the case. When I got my first DOT safety inspection at my shop the RI state police DOT officer brought this up to me specifically to make sure I was clear the requirement in the event I had anybody working for me. So truck and trailer with combined GVW 26,001 or more requires a A license. Truck and trailer combined 26,000 GVW or less but with trailer 10,001 GVW or more still requires an A license. So basically towing any trailer that has a GVW of 10,001 GVW or more with anything requires an A license is my understanding. I asked the question........" So I'm towing a twin axle open flatbed car trailer that has two 6k axles (12k GVW) with and F150 and the trailer is empty.........I need a class A license?" The answer I got was yes. I think the reality is if the truck has a pickup bed, truck and trailer dont have any lettering, and both are registered personally probably not going to get hassled. If the truck looks commercial, either have lettering, or either are registered in the name of a business you're likely to get hassled sooner or later.
Here is an article that I believe does a great job discussing this very topic, hope it helps.

http://gohorseshow.com/article.cfm?articleID=34603
Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Here is an article that I believe does a great job discussing this very topic, hope it helps.

http://gohorseshow.com/article.cfm?articleID=34603
That is a great article, thank you for finding that!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great article, thank you for finding that!
My pleasure HabanaJoe.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Registered

Not part of this discussion but to keep log books or not?

This will really mix things up but the article references "log books" for over 10,000 lbs. Well, if it's a CDL vehicle you have the 100 air mile radius rule exempting you from log books with time sheets, or if a Non-CDL vehicle you can have 150 air mile radius with no log book.

or the "driver / salesperson" 100 air mile exemption where 1/2 the time is spent driving with 60 hrs in 7 day week - no wonder people get confused? LOL