Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube >

Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube

Notices

Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube

Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Amazing how many people grease their trailers (if they do) when it's time to boat vs when it's time to put it away.

Water freezes ! Get that water out before it does !

LOL.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Also it is wise never to dunk your trailer into the water after long hauls. Hot hubs and hot bearings need sometime to cool down before cold water hits it.

Also the guy who packed bearings for nascar apps (post 19) if you could recall years ago they had wheel bearing failures from grease that additives fell out of suspension from sitting around for periods at a time. Kind of like the same deal when you store your grease cartridge sitting for periods of time and then pick it up as it looks like oil seeped out..

Water - corrosion, dirt / grit & lack of maintenance are bearing failures waiting to happen in return can damage your spindles. Also stuck brakes induce extra heat into the hubs & bearings.

Last edited by BUP; 04-19-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know nothing about grease so here goes. If I use the red Lucas. Can I also use it for the pivot points on my tractor?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 281 Likes on 100 Posts

Used green grease brand

Mystic red

And now mobile one in the tube and the tub.

All with good results!

I like the easy availability to buy the mobile one, fair price, and option of the tub and tube matching.

Always use the bearing packer sydwayz posted and I fill the hub up with a lot of grease before installing.

I then DO NOT add any grease once installed or the seal will just blow out the back. IF you do choose to pump grease in the EZ lube spindle or bearing buddy remember to drive untill the bearings heat up, jack trailer up and spin the tire while pumping the warm grease in the warm hub.

But there's no replacement for just removing the hub, repacking the grease and REPLACING the seal. These seals are CHEAP and they are spinning fast on cheap axles and hubs wearing out easily.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Amsoil marine(trailer) grease, 15 years no problems, fill them about 3 or 4 times a year
Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Registered

I tried a lot of wheel bearing grease brands and finally decided I like the Amsoil Marine wheel bearing grease. I now have fewer rusty bearings. Last year I got rid of the caps with the rubber plugs and now use the solid steel caps for less water intrusion. I never did the "easy lube" thing anyway. I have noticed that some of the current greases seem to leech out the oil and leave a puddle under the grease gun. I put this together after having an unusually high bearing failure rate on roller bearings at work. If the grease gun is leaking oil the grease is bad.