Notices

Awesome 8.1l MPG

Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 4,927 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Originally Posted by D2HP
So now you wish you would have fixed the trailer and kept the excursion?
Not even close, the X with the short wheelbase was not a good tow vehicle. Stopping and acceleration was subpar also.

I fill up full and 160 miles later the tank is on fumes, thats pathetic.
Its a pain trying to find gas stations big enough to accommodate the rig.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

I fill up full and 160 miles later the tank is on fumes, thats pathetic.
Its a pain trying to find gas stations big enough to accommodate the rig.
This is what would suck the most.

Have you tried running Slick 50 and a Tornado?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,927 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me

Have you tried running Slick 50 and a Tornado?
I don`t care what popular mechanics says I`m ordering all these right now!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ileage/1802932
Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
You guys are trying to see afr after the cat? O2 readings tend to average out and stay even after the cat when they are doing their job. But verifying against joes truck is a good test. Can't argue with doing the same test on another truck.
yep..i laughed after i saw that,,cant get a good o2 reading after the cat eats up what is left of the hydrocarbon's.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If the engine relies on the primary 02 for trimming the fuel, how can we remove it, install a portable wideband, and get a good reading before the cat? The pcm will no longer see the signal from the primary 02 if its removed, so woukdnt that be an invalid test? I don't believe a 02 sensor reads hydrocarbons. I installed it in my rear 02 and it was dead on 14.7, which is what GM target number is for emissions purposes. Maybe mine was a fluke.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
If the engine relies on the primary 02 for trimming the fuel, how can we remove it, install a portable wideband, and get a good reading before the cat? The pcm will no longer see the signal from the primary 02 if its removed, so woukdnt that be an invalid test? I don't believe a 02 sensor reads hydrocarbons. I installed it in my rear 02 and it was dead on 14.7, which is what GM target number is for emissions purposes. Maybe mine was a fluke.
for street cars we drill a hole and install a o2 bung b4 the cat then when done screw in the plug..i also have a inflight kent-moore 5 gas..that rite their was 10 grand..

ps on big trouble race engine their is a 02 sensor for each cylinder and we take the readings after each run from the race pack..

Last edited by FIXX; 03-18-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

According to Innovate Motorsports site, they say that if taking readings from after the cat, the readings could be leaner, depending on the efficiency of the cat. So, if thats the case, Icdedppl's rich readings behind the cat, would mean it should be even richer, if he measured before the cat? Heres what they said in regards to their clamp they sell that you would place in the tailpipe

New Cast-Aluminum Exhaust Clamp is Shipping

The new exhaust clamp is shipping. This useful accessory can mount the O2 sensor to the end of the car’s tail pipe. With non-cat cars, you can get accurate readings from the car’s tail pipe, however, you must use an exhaust clamp to do so. Do NOT simply insert the O2 sensor into the tail pipe. Doing so may damage the sensor and it will certainly not yield accurate measurements. (The oxygen sensor needs to have its cable exposed to outside air to yield accurate results.) On cars with cats, it is recommended to use the bung, installed before the cat, to give you the most accurate reading. Measuring after the cat will result in leaner-than-reality readings, depending on the efficiency of the cat. Nevertheless, some operators of chassis dynos use this method and roughly “correct” the reading (for example, subtract 0.5 AFR). The Innovate exhaust clamp features a patent-pending design that maximizes response time, improves accuracy under low-flow conditions, and minimizes the effects of reversion or free-air contamination
Old 03-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I've used the clamp on the dyno. It's about as accurate as pissing into the wind. If it shows rich, you're definitely rich. If it shows lean, you might be ok lol. In dans case showing rich means it's over the top. Do you guys know anyone with efi live? Can you drive the truck with a scan tool and read the front o2 milivolts?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts

An 02 sensor measures oxygen, nothing more. You should be looking for 14.7 on a Wideband gauge for cruise and idle in a stock engine before any cats. I would install a wb pre cats before you do anything else.

FWIW my friend has an 02(i believe) f250 with the 6.8 v10. He says he gets 10mpg on the parkway not towing anything.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dan ,,,, something is wrong,,,,,, we got 8.2 MPG for the entire trip from Louisiana and back towing BZ's Fountain

15 non towing at 65 MPH

Can you get ahold of a Tech II and make sure its going into closed loop?

Maybe something went south with the tune

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.